Joe Drazek's practice focuses on regulatory and litigation matters within the Firm's Environmental Group and spans a variety of industries including manufacturers, mining companies, high technology companies, financial institutions, industrial laundry services, environmental testing laboratories, water companies and real estate developers. Mr. Drazek's experience includes:
- Representation of clients in state and federal Superfund sites.
- Represented developer of large master planned community in connection with the siting of a 500kV transmission line.
- Counseled manufacturing clients on hazardous and solid waste issues.
- Represented steel manufacturing company in state enforcement action of clean air act and water quality violations.
- Represented environmental testing laboratory in state license revocation action.
- Represented national retailer in lease of contaminated property.
- Represented real estate developer in connection with waste water disposal issues.
- Represented clients on underground storage tank removal and clean-ups.
- Represented real estate developers in development of contaminated properties.
- Represented school districts in connection with asbestos removal issues.
- Represented municipality in connection with environmental group's appeal of aquifer protection permit for a wastewater treatment plant.
- Represented mining company in state enforcement action concerning violations of aquifer protection permit.
- Represented mining company in lawsuit by private landowner for off-site releases of contaminants.
- Advised clients regarding environmental and regulatory issues relating to the construction and operation of renewable energy projects.
- Air Regulations & Permitting
- Brownfield Development
- Climate Change & Greenhouse Gases
- Due Diligence and Risk Assessment in Transactions
- Emergency Response & Compliance Counseling
- Litigation − Allocation, Enforcement and Administrative
- Remediation − Superfund and Sediments
- Renewable Energy − Wind, Solar & Bio
- Product Liability
- Higher Education
Education and Honors
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 1981)
- University of Chicago (M.S., 1978)
- University of Michigan (B.S., 1976)
- Illinois (Inactive)
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1982
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Arizona (Member; Former Chair, Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section)
- Phoenix Environmental Quality Commission (Member)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member, Natural Resources and Administrative Law Sections)
- State Bar of California (Member, Natural Resources Subsection)
- State Bar of Illinois (Member)
- Maricopa Association of Governments (Former Member, Air Quality Policy Committee)
- Listed in Arizona’s Top Lawyers list by AZ Business Magazine (2014: Energy and Natural Resources)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2008-present: Environmental Law / Litigation - Environmental / Natural Resources Law)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2009-present: Environmental)