Joshua Maggard practices in the areas of commercial litigation and professional liability, focusing on cases involving complex financial issues, class action defense, and professional malpractice defense. Josh’s recent experience in commercial litigation includes
- Resolving proposed statewide consumer class action for nuisance value in Wisconsin state court.
- Defeating motion for nationwide class certification in proposed consumer class action in Wisconsin federal court.
- Achieving dismissal with prejudice of all class allegations in proposed consumer class action in Ohio federal court.
- Achieving summary judgment and dismissal of all claims in $100 million insurance broker malpractice action in New Jersey state court, affirmed by the New Jersey Court of Appeals and the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Achieving withdrawal of all class allegations in proposed nationwide consumer class action in New Jersey state court.
- Defeating motion for nationwide class certification in proposed policyholder class action in Florida federal court.
- Successfully striking nationwide class claims from proposed policyholder class action in California state court.
- Obtaining dismissal with prejudice for all claims brought against an airline for allegedly improper removal of passenger in Wisconsin federal court.
- Defending a leading mutual life insurance company in policyholder class actions concerning the determination and allocation of dividends in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- Defending a leading insurance broker in professional liability lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- Defending a leading benefits consulting firm in lawsuits alleging actuarial malpractice in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Josh also has significant pro bono experience, representing clients on appellate issues before the Seventh Circuit and helping to lead Quarles & Brady’s Truancy Court program.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Professional Malpractice
- Class Action Defense
- ERISA Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- Ohio State University–Moritz College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
- Ohio State Law Journal (Managing Board, 2005–2006; Staff Member, 2004–2005)
- Taylor University (B.A., 2001)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2006
Professional and Civic Activities
- Membership Co-Chair, Professional Liability Litigation Committee, ABA
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Advocate Designation
- Member, Quarles Technology Governance Committee
- Member, Quarles Commercial Litigation Technology Initiatives Committee
- Member, Quarles Professional Liability Subgroup
- Member, Quarles Class Action Subgroup