These are a few examples of Katie’s recent work.
- Representing financial institutions in the defense of lender liability, Truth in Lending, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act and state and federal consumer protection statutes.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a bankruptcy adversary proceeding brought against a financial institution client claiming lack of standing to file a proof of claim and fraud.
- Successfully advocating the Court of Appeals to affirm the entry of a foreclosure judgment after trial and to affirm the summary judgment dismissal of borrower’s unconscionability and mortgage banking law claims.
- Successfully advocating the Court of Appeals to affirm the summary judgment dismissal of Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”), lender liability, and negligence counterclaims brought by borrowers in response to foreclosure litigation.
- Obtaining a decision after a court trial that an easement did not permit a neighboring property owner to place a pier off of the easement on clients’ property which was then affirmed on appeal
- Representing a municipality in the creation of a planned development district ordinance and in the negotiation of a development agreement for over 400 acres of property within that district.
- Representing a municipality in a Kenosha County (Wisconsin) jury trial to determine the just compensation to be awarded to the landowner in an eminent domain proceeding.
- Representing a landowner in obtaining just compensation under Wisconsin eminent domain law from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation for three times the amount offered in the initial award of damages from the department.
- Successfully advocating the Court of Appeals to affirm a trial court’s decision that a landowner had been provided with a comparable replacement property under Wisconsin’s eminent domain law.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a $2.3 million preference claim filed by the trustee in a paper company’s bankruptcy case against one of its suppliers.
- Assisting a very large pharmaceutical distributor in responding to hundreds of subpoenas issued by various governmental entities or in various state or federal criminal or civil court proceedings, including the production of electronic information.
- Successful pro bono representation of a Senegalese citizen seeking asylum in the United States.
- Successful pro bono representation of a family member seeking guardianship over her two minor nieces after the death of their mother.