Kevin Slaughter earns the trust and confidence of his clients through the analytical and, more importantly, pragmatic approach he takes to managing their legal business needs. Kevin is a transactional attorney with comprehensive experience in corporate law and is a trusted advisor to executives and senior management on a broad spectrum of issues. Kevin has been drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial agreements for nearly two decades and with excellent client relationship and interpersonal skills, he is highly adept at explaining the results and consequences of any actions his clients may contemplate, in a manner understandable to those who do not have a legal background.
More specifically, Kevin represents buyers and sellers of public and private companies and counsels boards of directors and financial advisors on acquisitions, takeover defense, and corporate governance matters. He regularly works on a variety of commercial agreements including supply agreements, distributor agreements, reseller agreements, software development and licensing, outsourcing arrangements, internet marketing, joint venture relationships, and organizations of industry consortia. In the area of public finance, he represents both underwriters and state and local issuers, including state agencies, cities, counties and school districts in a variety of municipal finance transactions.
Kevin is a highly disciplined attorney, with a great respect for rules and understanding them thoroughly in order to pursue the most practical and feasible course of action. He applies a reasoned approach to the management of client matters, maintaining clear lines of communication and building working relationships that are as efficient as he is.
- Business Law
- Public Finance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 1995)
- Hampton University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1992)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Alliance of Merger & Acquisition Advisors (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Committee (Board Member)
- Chicago United (Member, Leaders Council)
- Economic Club (Member)
- Executives Club of Chicago (Member, New Leaders Circle)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
- Muslim Bar Association of Chicago (Board Member)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers (Member)
- One Goal (Board Member, Secretary)
- Recipient, "Men of Excellence" Award, Chicago Defender, 2013
- Recipient, "Business Leaders Champion" Award, Chicago United, 2010