1395 Panther Lane
Kimberly Leach Johnson presides over the executive committee and is firm chair of Quarles & Brady. As an attorney, she practices in the area of trusts & estates. She has extensive experience representing numerous families in the planning of their estate and handling their affairs after their demise. Kimberly holds various positions within the Firm, including Chair of the Finance Committee and as an elected member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Mrs. Johnson’s recent experience includes:
- Post-Mortem tax mitigation techniques.
- Advise individual fiduciaries as to their duties and powers and interpretation of trust documents.
- Advise corporate fiduciaries regarding the administration of trust, discretionary payments and tax reporting.
- IRS audits regarding valuation discounts on both the Federal Estate Tax Return and Gift Tax Returns.
- Lifetime gifts, including gifts in trust.
- Preparation of complicated estate tax returns.
- Document preparation including wills, trust documents (both revocable and irrevocable), health care surrogates, living wills, durable power of attorney, prenuptial, postnuptial, family limited partnership agreements, limited liability company agreements and other estate planning documents.
- Assisting clients with beneficiary designation forms for IRAs.
Education and Honors
- University of Miami (LL.M., 1982)
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (J.D., 1981)
- Anderson College, Anderson, Indiana (B.S., 1977)
U.S. Tax Court, 1983
- A “Top 50 Women Florida Super Lawyers" years 2011, 2012, and 2013 as ranked by Super Lawyers®. The Top 50 received the highest point totals in the Florida nomination, research and blue ribbon review process.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated.
- American Bar Foundation (Fellow). Membership by invitation limited to one-third of 1% of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction.
- Awarded “Lawyer of the Year” by the Collier County Women’s Bar Association for 2011.
- Named to South Florida’s Top Lawyers for 2010 & 2011, as published in the Miami Herald.
- Named to Southwest Florida’s Top Lawyers for 2012, as published in Gulfshore Life.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007-2013 Florida Super Lawyers® lists (Estate Planning & Probate).
- Named 2007-2011 FIVE STAR: Best in Client Satisfaction Wealth ManagerSM.
- Named to the 2014 MAKERS: Women Who Make Southwest Florida list by WGCU Public Media.
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Trend magazine’s “Florida Legal Elite” lists for 2010-2013. Peer nominated and vetted list representing approximately 2% of the active Florida Bar members practicing in Florida.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (annually, 2008 through 2014, Trusts and Estates). Selection of list based on an exhaustive peer-review survey of nearly 4 million confidential evaluations by the top attorneys in the country.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Best Lawyers® Advisory Board.
- Anderson University (Indiana) Board of Trustees.
- Florida Gulf Coast University Foundation (Board of Directors).
- Collier County Bar Association (Member).
- American Bar Association (Member, Taxation Section).
- The Florida Bar (Chair, Tax Section Committee; 1995 Vice Chair, Grievance Committee for Twentieth Judicial Circuit).
- Quarles & Brady Diversity Committee (Representative).
- Boggy Creek Camp for Terminally Ill Children (Board of Directors).
- University of Florida, Levin College of Law, Law Center Association (Emeritus Trustee).
- Former Civic Activities include:
- Heart Ball (Chair).
- Community School of Naples (Long Range Planning Committee).
- Moorings Park (Trustee).
- Naples Youth Soccer (Board of Directors).
- University of Florida (Representative, Class of 1981).
- Naples Art Association (Board of Directors).
Featured, “Movers & Shakers,” Diversity & The Bar
, November/December 2013.
Author, “Inside: Trust me on this
, November 18, 2013.
Featured, “Female Powerbrokers Q&A: Quarles & Brady’s Kim Johnson
, November 15, 2013.
Featured, “Johnson steps into Quarles leadership with ears open,” Wisconsin Law Journal
, November 8, 2013.
Author, “Inside: Diversity, of course
, October 21, 2013.
Featured, “New Quarles & Brady chair eyes expansion,” Chicago Law Bulletin
, October 17, 2013.
Featured, “Madam Chair
,” Business Observer
, October 11, 2013.