1395 Panther Lane
Kimberly Leach Johnson presides over the executive committee and is firm chair of Quarles & Brady. As an attorney, she practices in the area of trusts & estates. She has extensive experience representing numerous families in the planning of their estate and handling their affairs after their demise. Kimberly holds various positions within the Firm, including Chair of the Finance Committee and as an elected member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Mrs. Johnson’s recent experience includes:
- Post-Mortem tax mitigation techniques.
- Advise individual fiduciaries as to their duties and powers and interpretation of trust documents.
- Advise corporate fiduciaries regarding the administration of trust, discretionary payments and tax reporting.
- IRS audits regarding valuation discounts on both the Federal Estate Tax Return and Gift Tax Returns.
- Lifetime gifts, including gifts in trust.
- Preparation of complicated estate tax returns.
- Document preparation including wills, trust documents (both revocable and irrevocable), health care surrogates, living wills, durable power of attorney, prenuptial, postnuptial, family limited partnership agreements, limited liability company agreements and other estate planning documents.
- Assisting clients with beneficiary designation forms for IRAs.
Education and Honors
- University of Miami (LL.M., 1982)
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (J.D., 1981)
- Anderson College, Anderson, Indiana (B.S., 1977)
U.S. Tax Court, 1983
- A “Top 50 Women Florida Super Lawyers" years 2011, 2012, and 2013 as ranked by Super Lawyers®. The Top 50 received the highest point totals in the Florida nomination, research and blue ribbon review process.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated.
- American Bar Foundation (Fellow). Membership by invitation limited to one-third of 1% of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction.
- Awarded “Lawyer of the Year” by the Collier County Women’s Bar Association for 2011.
- Named to South Florida’s Top Lawyers for 2010 & 2011, as published in the Miami Herald.
- Named to Southwest Florida’s Top Lawyers for 2012, as published in Gulfshore Life.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007-2014 Florida Super Lawyers® lists (Estate Planning & Probate).
- Named 2007-2011 FIVE STAR: Best in Client Satisfaction Wealth ManagerSM.
- Named to the 2014 MAKERS: Women Who Make Southwest Florida list by WGCU Public Media.
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Trend magazine’s “Florida Legal Elite” lists for 2010-2013. Peer nominated and vetted list representing approximately 2% of the active Florida Bar members practicing in Florida.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (annually, 2008 through 2015, Trusts and Estates). Selection of list based on an exhaustive peer-review survey of nearly 4 million confidential evaluations by the top attorneys in the country.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Best Lawyers® Advisory Board.
- Anderson University (Indiana) Board of Trustees.
- Florida Gulf Coast University Foundation (Board of Directors).
- Collier County Bar Association (Member).
- American Bar Association (Member, Taxation Section).
- The Florida Bar (Chair, Tax Section Committee; 1995 Vice Chair, Grievance Committee for Twentieth Judicial Circuit).
- Quarles & Brady Diversity Committee (Representative).
- Boggy Creek Camp for Terminally Ill Children (Board of Directors).
- University of Florida, Levin College of Law, Law Center Association (Emeritus Trustee).
- Former Civic Activities include:
- Heart Ball (Chair).
- Community School of Naples (Long Range Planning Committee).
- Moorings Park (Trustee).
- Naples Youth Soccer (Board of Directors).
- University of Florida (Representative, Class of 1981).
- Naples Art Association (Board of Directors).
Author, “A New World Order: Best Practices for Rainmakers in the 21st Century,” ABA Law Practice Today - The Women Rainmaking Issue, August 15, 2014.
Interviewed, WMTV, Madison, WI, April 23, 2014.
Featured, “Face Awards 2014 Large Company - Quarles & Brady,” YouTube, March 3, 2014.
Featured, “Taking the Lead,” Gulfshore Life, February 2014.
Author, “Inside: What’s your brand?” InsideCounsel, December 16, 2013.
Mentioned, “BigLaw Leaders Sound Alarm At Decline In Female Attys,” Law360, December 13, 2013.
Featured, “Movers & Shakers,” Diversity & The Bar, November/December 2013.
Author, “Inside: Trust me on this,” InsideCounsel, November 18, 2013.
Featured, “Female Powerbrokers Q&A: Quarles & Brady’s Kim Johnson,” Law360, November 15, 2013.
Featured, “Johnson steps into Quarles leadership with ears open,” Wisconsin Law Journal, November 8, 2013.
Author, “Inside: Diversity, of course,” InsideCounsel, October 21, 2013.
Featured, “New Quarles & Brady chair eyes expansion,” Chicago Law Bulletin, October 17, 2013.
Featured, “Madam Chair,” Business Observer, October 11, 2013.
Featured, “First Female Elected Chair in Quarles' 120-Year History,” Inside Tucson Business, September 20, 2013.
Featured, “Kimberly Leach Johnson, chairwoman. Quarles & Brady,” Chicago Tribune, September 19, 2013.
Featured, “Quarles & Brady plots growth in Chicago, Midwest and Florida,” Chicago Business Journal, September 18, 2013.
Featured, “Local lawyer named Quarles & Brady chair,” Tampa Bay Business Journal, September 17, 2013.
Featured, “Law firm Quarles & Brady selects new chairperson,” Illinois Real Estate Journal, September 16, 2013.
Featured, “Quarles & Brady Elects Woman Partner To Top Chair,” Law360, September 16, 2013.
Featured, “A First For Quarles & Brady, As a Woman Takes the Helm,” The Wall Street Journal, September 16, 2013.
Featured, “Leach Johnson named first female chair at Quarles,” Phoenix Business Journal, September 16, 2013.
Featured, “Quarles & Bready elects first female chair,” Arizona Business Magazine, September 16, 2013.
Featured, “Leach Johnson named first female, non-Milwaukee chair at Quarles,” Milwaukee Business Journal, September 16, 2013.
Featured, “Quarles & Brady selects new chair,” BizTimes Milwaukee, September 16, 2013.
Featured, “Quarles & Brady: Selects Kimberly Leach Johnson as firm's next chair,” WisBusiness.com, September 2013.