Larry Cote is one of the most preeminent and highly regarded Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) compliance attorneys in the country, counseling clients on a broad range of regulatory compliance and enforcement issues involving the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). He co-leads Quarles & Brady’s nationally recognized DEA Compliance & Litigation Practice Group and serves as the managing partner of the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Larry represents and advises manufacturers, wholesale distributors, pharmacies, hospitals, and individual practitioners on the full array of compliance matters relating to their obligations under CSA and DEA's regulations. He also represents registrants in administrative and civil litigation matters in actions brought under the CSA and has extensive experience trying cases before DEA's Administrative Law Judges.
Larry has significant experience navigating government investigations and litigation, having served in a variety of positions at the United States Department of Justice (DOJ). Prior to joining Quarles & Brady, Larry served as the associate chief counsel for the DEA's Diversion and Regulatory Litigation Section, where he worked at the forefront of the largest enforcement actions and compliance initiatives undertaken by DEA. In that capacity, he was DEA’s legal advisor on issues related to the diversion of legally produced controlled substances and listed chemicals into illegitimate channels. Larry managed a team of attorneys responsible for representing the agency in administrative hearings regarding the revocation or denial of DEA registrations for physicians, pharmacies, manufacturers, distributors, importers, and exporters to handle controlled substances or listed chemicals, the suspension of international shipments of listed chemicals, and the scheduling of controlled substances.
Prior to joining DEA, Larry was a trial attorney in the DOJ Civil Division and an associate general counsel at the agency's Executive Office for Immigration Review. During his time at the DOJ, Larry was also detailed to serve as special assistant U.S. attorney for the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and as ethics advisor for the Office of Counsel to the President of the United States.
Larry is a major in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps, United States Army Reserve, and is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Education and Honors
- Albany Law School (J.D., 1997)
- Union College (B.A., 1994)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Society for Pharmacy Law (Member)
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, The St. Jude Open, Washington, D.C. (Committee Member)
- CADCA (Community Anti-Drug Coalition of America) (Board Member)
- Sports Lawyers Association (Member)
- 2001 American Bar Association, Legal Assistance for Military Personal Award for service on the Joint Services Family Assistance Center Legal Team, which provided legal support to family members of the victims of the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon