Lauren Grahovac Harpke focuses her practice on corporate environmental, health, and workers safety issues. Ms. Harpke's recent experience includes:
- Working with corporate clients to address environmental concerns arising in mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions, by conducting due diligence and facilitating the transfer of environmental permits and licenses.
- Investigating and resolving OSHA citations involving hazard communication, guarding accidents, asbestos, electrical safety, and other violations resulting in employee injury or death.
- Advising clients in environmental recordkeeping and record retention policies.
- Assisting clients in site remediation, including obtaining access to contaminated properties and negotiating payment structure.
- Experience in complex environmental insurance litigation and allocation.
- Assisting clients in navigating the issues arising under the Great Lakes – St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact.
- Familiarity with climate change and greenhouse gas legislation.
- Coordinating information requests and settlement negotiations with DNR and EPA regarding citations under RCRA, EPCRA, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and state counterparts.
- Advising clients of EPCRA and RCRA regulatory requirements in operational and enforcement contexts.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Dean's List
- Public Interest Law Foundation
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., with honors, 2003)
- Major: International Relations
- Certificate: Environmental Studies
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member of Environment, Energy, and Resources Law Section and Young Lawyers Division)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Federation of Environmental Technologists (Member)
- Environmental Law Institute (Member)
- Wisconsin Manufacturers Commerce (Member)
- Sojourner Family Peace Center (Courthouse Clinic Pro Bono Coordinator and Volunteer)
- The Park People of Milwaukee County (Board Member)
- Guardianship Pro Bono Clinic (Pro Bono Volunteer)
- Legal and Medical Partnership (Pro Bono Volunteer)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2015)