300 N. LaSalle Street
Larry Falbe’s practice focuses on environmental transactional support (both real estate and corporate), environmental defense and litigation, Brownfields issues and environmental compliance matters.
Larry has considerable experience reviewing and analyzing Phase I and Phase II assessments to satisfy due diligence requirements, obtaining No Further Remediation Letters, evaluating the cost/benefit of transactions and advising clients on potential liability and remediation issues. He also focuses on endangered species and wetland issues and is experienced in obtaining Incidental Take Authorization from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources for development projects that impact endangered and threatened species.
He also has substantial litigation experience involving environmental issues, including CERCLA (Superfund), hazardous waste, toxic torts, Clean Water and Clean Air Acts, underground storage tanks and nuclear fuel processing. He has represented clients involved in enforcement actions by federal, state and local authorities (including the Illinois Pollution Control Board), and negotiated numerous compliance programs, consent decrees and settlements. He also completed internships with the U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Enforcement Division and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 5.
Most recently, Larry defended an industrial client in an administrative action brought by U.S. EPA under RCRA in which U.S. EPA demanded a seven-figure civil penalty. That action culminated in a three-week administrative hearing before the U.S. EPA Chief Administrative Law Judge; a decision in that action is currently pending. In addition, Larry has represented a large manufacturing company in connection with claims brought by the Attorney General and Illinois EPA-related to alleged contamination of private drinking water wells; various industrial clients related to alleged toxic tort injuries; a municipality in defense of Clean Water Act claims concerning the city’s operation of a trap shooting facility; and many former industrial property owners in connection with CERCLA claims and other environmental claims.
Larry has also published a number of articles on a wide variety of environmental issues and is a frequent lecturer on due diligence and environmental liability concerns. As an adjunct professor at Northwestern University School of Law, Larry has taught a course that he personally created, “Environmental Considerations in Commercial and Real Estate Transactions,” as part of NU’s “Structuring Transactions” course series.
A strong supporter of diversity in the legal community, Larry serves on the Firm’s Diversity Committee, and has a long history of mentoring, training and supporting diverse associates.
In his off-hours, Larry races his sailboat on Lake Michigan and serves as Cubmaster for his son’s Cub Scout Troop. He is also active in local politics in Lake County, Illinois, and serves on the board of directors of numerous private and public organizations.
Education and Honors
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 1994)
DePaul Law Review. DePaul Environmental Law Digest (Editor).
- Augustana College (B.A., cum laude, 1991)
Phi Beta Kappa.
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Professional and Civic Activities
- Lake County Regional Planning Commission (Commissioner).
- Lake County Partners (General Counsel).
- Conserve Lake County (formerly Liberty Prairie Conservancy) (Board of Directors).
- Mettawa Open Lands Association (Board of Directors).
- Busy Brains Children’s Museum (Board of Directors).
- Gus Berthold Electric Company (Board of Directors).
- Village of Mettawa (Former Trustee).
- Village of Mettawa Zoning Board of Appeals (Former Member).
- Lincolnshire Architectural Review Board (Former Member).
- Metropolitan Planning Council (Member).
- Chemical Industry Council of Illinois (Member).
- American Bar Association (Member).
- Lake County Bar Association (Member).
- DuPage County Bar Association (Member).
- Chicago Bar Association (Member).
- Featured, “Q&A With Quarles & Brady’s Larry Falbe,” Law360, April 17, 2013.
- “No More Pills Down the Drain: Illinois Bans Disposal of Unused Pharmaceuticals in Wastewater Treatment Systems,” Chicago, IL, January 24, 2009.
- “Supreme Court Finds Right of Recovery for CERCLA ‘Voluntary’ Cleanups but Reduces Contribution Protection for Settling Parties,” The Real Estate Finance Journal, July 6, 2007.
- “Recovery of ‘Voluntary’ Cleanup Costs – Will the Supreme Court Provide an Answer?,” The Real Estate Finance Journal, March 8, 2007.
- Beware of reliance on ‘as-is, where is’ clauses, The National Law Journal, September 29, 2003.
- “How to Develop Contaminated Properties,” International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference, October 24-27, 2012.
- “Caselaw Updates Regarding CERCLA Bona Fide Prospective Purchaser Defense,” ISBA 11th Annual Environmental Law Conference, Chicago, Illinois, May 10, 2012.
- “Environmental Due Diligence: How Much is Enough?” Roundtable Presentation, ICSC Legal Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, October 28, 2011.
- “Corporate Parent and Successor Liability: What Transactional Lawyers Should Know,” Quarles & Brady Business Law Training, September 8, 2011.
- “The Greener Side of Real Estate Development: Green Construction, Endangered Species and Wetlands,” Illinois State Bar Association Environmental Law Conference, Chicago, IL, May 12, 2011.
- “Environmental Concerns in Business Transactions,” Quarles & Brady Business Law Training, March 10, 2011.
- “Contract Considerations in Environmental Law,” Presentation to DuPage County Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, December 8, 2010.
- “Land Use Law: Current Issues in Subdivision, Annexation and Zoning,” NBI Seminar, Oak Brook, IL,
December 7, 2010.
- Climate Change Panel Discussion, Northwestern University School of Law, November 9, 2010.
- “New Environmental Issues for Real Estate Transactions,” IICLE 6th Annual Real Estate Short Course, Palatine, IL, February 19, 2010.
- “Environmental Regulation in the Real Estate and Zoning Fields,” NBI Navigating Local Land Use Law and Approval Process Seminar, Oak Brook, IL, June 9, 2009.
- “Contract Considerations in Environmental Law,” 2009 Illinois State Bar Association Environmental Law Conference, Chicago, IL, May 14, 2009.
- “Mastering Land Use and Planning Process,” Oak Brook, IL, December 9, 2008.
- “Navigating the Impact of Endangered Species Law on Development Projects in Illinois,” Chicago Bar Association Environmental Law Committee, Chicago, IL, December 2, 2008.
- “Real Estate Law: Advanced Issues and Answers,” Chicago, IL, September 11, 2008.
- “Real Estate Law: Advanced Issues and Answers,” Lisle, IL, September 10, 2008.
- “Real Estate Law: Advanced Issues and Answers,” Schaumburg, IL, September 9, 2008.
- “Environmental Law Nuts and Bolts,” 2008 Illinois State Bar Association Environmental Law Conference,
Naperville, IL, May 2, 2008.
- “Environmental Issues in Real Estate Development,” The Development Approval Process in Illinois, Itasca, IL, March 12, 2008.
- “Land Use Law: Current Issues in Subdivision, Annexation and Zoning,” Oak Brook, IL, December 11, 2007.
- “Environmental Issues in Real Estate Development,” The Development Approval Process in Illinois, Countryside, IL, October 18, 2007.
- “Real Estate Law: Advanced Issues and Answers,” Chicago, IL, September 18, 2007.
- “Environmental Considerations for Real Estate Development in Illinois,” Audio program, Chicago, IL, June 27, 2007.
- “Land Use Law: Current Issues in Subdivision Annexation and Zoning,” Oak Brook, IL, December 7, 2006.
- “Land Use Issues and Strategies Concerning Developments: Subdivision, Annexation, Zoning and Environmental Laws in Illinois,” Naperville, IL, December 6, 2005.
- “Land Use Law Update in Illinois,” Countryside, IL, April 8, 2004.