Leonard S. Shifflett represents entities and individuals in complex litigation and business matters. Notable engagements include:
- Successful representation of a hospital against antitrust claims by a competitor.
- Completion of an eminent domain taking for the country's largest independent power producer.
- Defense of a not for profit hospital group in a class action claiming breach of the requirements for its §501(c)(3) status.
- Successful representation of a top five professional service firm in both the trial court and on appeal regarding a class action brought under the WARN Act.
In the area of health law, Len represents hospitals and other health care organizations in mergers, anti-trust counseling and litigation, development of joint ventures with physicians and other entities, and with regard to matters of internal governance and structure.
Over the years, Len has litigated almost every aspect of real estate law including issues of title; the effectiveness and limitations of easements; obligations under jointly owned systems servicing high rise condominiums; issues pertaining to over land water courses; enforcement of commercial leases; the determination of rights and obligations under 99 year ground leases; and the valuation and enforcement of security interests and mortgages.
In the area of commercial law, Len has represented lawyers, accountants, and businessmen with respect to duties and obligations under partnership and limited partnership agreements, as well as senior executives and corporations in connection with compensation agreements, stock option agreements, and covenants not to compete.
Education and Honors
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1974)
- University of Illinois (A.B., high honors, 1971)
Phi Beta Kappa.
U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1977
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1974
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1989
Selected for inclusion in the 2006-2013 Illinois Super Lawyers®
lists (Business Litigation).
Named an Illinois Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation by Leading Lawyers Network
Professional and Civic Activities
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member).
- American Bar Association (Member).
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys (Member).
- The Lawyer’s Club of Chicago (Member).
- Leading Lawyers Network (Member).
- Counsel to Willow Wood Preschool (Winnetka, Illinois).