Louis Klapp's practice focuses on intellectual property litigation and counseling in a variety of industries, including wireless communication, consumer electronics, computer software, medical devices, nutritional supplements, insurance, and automotive equipment.
Louis has engaged in all aspects of litigation from pre-filing investigation through post-trial briefing. His experience includes motions to dismiss, Markman briefing, expert discovery, summary judgment motions, and trials. Louis has litigated cases in many federal courts, the United States International Trade Commission, the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
Following law school, Louis was a Public Interest Law Initiative Fellow at the ACLU of Illinois. As a law student in Northwestern University’s Bluhm Legal Clinic, he represented a criminal appellant in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Louis studied materials science and engineering at Cornell University, where he engaged in experimental research in the field of semiconductor device fabrication. He then researched nanofabrication techniques as a member of the Nanostructures Laboratory in the Electrical Engineering Department of Princeton University. Prior to studying law, Louis worked on a variety of political campaigns as a specialist in the development and use of voter-information databases.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2010)
- Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology (Executive Articles Editor)
- Princeton University (M.A., 2004)
- Electrical Engineering
- Cornell University (B.S., cum laude with honors, 2002)
- Materials Science & Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Kirkland & Ellis Pro Bono Service Award