135 N. Pennsylvania Street
Lucy Dollens concentrates her practice in business as well as appellate litigation. She handles all aspects of business litigation disputes, including advising clients on a broad range of commercial issues prior to the initiation of litigation.
Lucy’s practice also focuses on advising and defending financial institutions, loan servicers, credit card issuers, and other consumer finance companies regarding lender liability and consumer protection/fraud issues. Lucy defends clients in class actions and other forums, including proceedings before bankruptcy courts and matters involving governmental agencies. Lucy litigates disputes involving alleged violations of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, Fair Credit Billing Act, Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act, OCC Regulations, and various state consumer protection statutes among others. She has successfully litigated against breach of contract claims; collection and servicing claims; allegations of unauthorized fees, costs, and force-placed insurance; claims regarding credit, life, and disability insurance; improper lien claims; allegations of invalid notes and mortgages (commercial and residential); and standing to foreclose issues, including challenges to the use of MERS. Lucy has worked closely with financial institutions, advising on internal processes and governance matters with respect to servicing, collection and foreclosure issues.
Lucy also represents individuals and corporate clients in both the state and federal appellate courts on a broad range of legal issues. Additionally, she represents amicus curiae parties regarding significant issues of Indiana law before Indiana’s Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. Representative Experience
- Handled appeals to the Indiana Supreme Court, including but not limited to Reiswerg v. Statom, 926 N.E.2d 26 (Ind. 2010); Williams v. Tharp, 914 N.E.2d 756 (Ind. 2009); Schriber v. Anonymous, 848 N.E.2d 1061 (Ind. 2006); Johnson v. Celebration Fireworks, Inc., 829 N.E.2d 979 (Ind. 2005); and Gribben v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 824 N.E.2d 349 (Ind. 2005).
- Represented amicus curiae parties on appeals to the Indiana Supreme Court, including but not limited to Santelli v. Rahmatullah, 993 N.E.2d 167 (Ind. 2013), Kovach v. Caligor Midwest, 913 N.E.2d 193 (Ind. 2009); Speedway SuperAmerica, LLC v. Holmes, 885 N.E.2d 1265 (Ind. 2008).
- Handled appeals to the Indiana Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, including but not limited to Myers v. Rising Sun-Ohio County Community School Corp., 2012 WL 170745 (Ind. Ct. App. 2012); Shaffer v. Wells Fargo Bank Nat. Ass’n., 2001 WL 1641900 (Ind. Ct. App. May 2, 2011); Vaught v. Unique Specialty Group, Inc., 2009 WL 973437 (Ind. Ct. App. April 9, 2009); Riggs v. Lafayette Emergency Care, 880 N.E.2d 338 (Ind. Ct. App. 2008); Estate of Hillsamer v. Sun Trust Bank, 899 N.E.2d 753 (Ind. Ct. App. 2008); Purcell v. S. Hills Invs., LLC, 847 N.E.2d 991 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006); Perryman v. Motorist Mut. Ins. Co., 846 N.E.2d 683 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006); Black Agents & Brokers v. Near North Ins. Brokerage, Inc., 409 F.3d 833 (7th Cir. 2005); and Showboat Marina Casino P’ship v. Tonn & Blank Constr., 790 N.E.2d 595 (Ind. Ct. App. 2003).
Education and Honors
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2002)
- Butler University (B.A., cum laude, 1998)
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- Indiana Defense Lawyer of the Year (DTCI) (2013).
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2014, 2015).
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers-Rising Stars® (2010-2012).
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Distinguished Fellow (Since 2012).
- IADC Trial Academy, Stanford Law School (2008).
- Indiana Bar Association’s Bar Leader Series III (Graduate, 2006).
Professional and Civic Activities
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (Amicus Curiae Committee, Vice Chair).
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Appellate Practice Section (Executive Committee) and past President (2013).
- Women in Law Division (Executive Committee).
- Indiana State Bar Association (Appellate Practice Section).
- American Bar Association (Council of Appellate Lawyers).
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member).
- Sagamore American Inn of Court (2007-2009).
- Champ Camp, Inc., a nonprofit dedicated to children with tracheostomies and in need of respiratory assistance (Board of Directors since 2006).
- Butler University, “Count It! For Cat” annual SIDS awareness and fundraising event (Volunteer).
- Indianapolis Bar Association Ask A Lawyer Program (Volunteer).
- “MERS: A Primer,” Westlaw Journal, Co-author, August 25, 2014.
- “And The Defense Wins,” DRI, June 25, 2014.
- “Make it Rain! Inside Tips for Transitioning from Associate to Rainmaker,” Indianapolis Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Presenter, May 2014.
- “A Focus on UDAAP and Residential Mortgages: Counseling Your Clients on the Areas With the Greatest Potential for Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices,” American Conference Institute’s National Forum on Residential Mortgage Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement, Presenter, Washington D.C., April 2014.
- “Effective Defense Strategies for New and Emerging Claims Arising Under the TCPA, FDCPA, and FCRA,” American Conference Institute’s National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, Presenter, New York City, January 2014.
- “The Coming Wave of Director and Officer Lawsuits: Navigating the Deluge of FOIC Enforcement, Dodd Frank and Borrower Lawsuits;” Ohio Bankers League/West Virginia Bankers Association/Illinois League of Financial Institutions Annual Convention, Presenter, Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, July 30, 2013.
- “The Art of Disagreement and Dissent - Collegiality,” Appellate Issues, Author, February 2013.
- “Debt Collection and Credit Reporting Litigation,” American Conference Institute’s National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, Presenter, New York City, January 2013.
- “Mortgage and foreclosure Litigation: Defending Against TILA and RESPA Claims, Litigating Claims Arising From Foreclosure and Loan Modification Practices, and Defeating Foreclosure Defenses,” American Conference Institute’s National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, Presenter, Chicago, July 2012.
- “Walmart v. Dukes: Requiring an Inquiry Into the Merits and Significant Proof for Class Certification,” Class Action Law360, Author, August 2011.
- “Top Ten Practice Tips for Young Lawyers,” State Court Appellate Practice, Indianapolis Bar Association, Presenter, 2005 - 2010.
- “No Warning . . . So What? The Indiana Supreme Court’s Ruling In Kovach v. Caligor Midwest and Proximate Cause Given the Read-And-Heed Presumption in Failure-To-Warn Cases,” DTCI: Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Co-Author, July 12, 2010.
- DTCI Amicus Corner: Kovach v. Caligor Midwest Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Co-Author, 2009.
- Appellate Skills Institute, ISBA Appellate Practice Section and ICLEF, Faculty Panel, Nov. 10, 2009.
- Indiana Appellate Practice Manual, Indiana State Bar Association Appellate Practice Section, Contributing Author, January 1, 2008.
- “Appellate Civil Case Law Update,” Res Gestae, Co-Author, May 2008.
- “DTCI Amicus Corner: Speedway SuperAmerica LLC v. Holmes,” Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Co-Author, 2008.
- “How to Create and Protect Your Good Record for Appeal, and What to Consider Before Bringing an Appeal,” Lorman Education Services, Criminal and Civil Appellate Practice in Indiana, Presenter, March 23, 2006.
- “Comparison of Consumer Fraud Statutes Across the Fifty States,” FDCC Quarterly, Contributing Researcher/Drafter, Spring 2005.
- Law Review Note, 35 Indiana Law Review 213, Author, 2001.
- 2000 Survey of Indiana Contract Law, 34 Indiana Law Review 615, Contributing Researcher, 2001.