Lucy Dollens concentrates her practice in business as well as appellate litigation. She handles all aspects of business litigation disputes, including advising clients on a broad range of commercial issues prior to the initiation of litigation.
Lucy’s practice also focuses on advising and defending financial institutions, loan servicers, credit card issuers, and other consumer finance companies regarding lender liability and consumer protection/fraud issues. Lucy defends lenders, servicers, and a broad range of consumer finance companies in class actions and other forums, including proceedings before bankruptcy courts and matters involving governmental agencies. Lucy litigates disputes involving alleged violations of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, Fair Credit Billing Act, Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act, OCC Regulations, and various state consumer protection statutes. She has successfully litigated against breach of contract claims; collection and servicing claims; allegations of unauthorized fees, costs, and force-placed insurance; claims regarding credit, life, and disability insurance; improper lien claims; allegations of invalid notes and mortgages; and standing to foreclose issues, including challenges to the use of MERS. Lucy has worked closely with financial institutions, advising on internal processes and governance matters with respect to servicing and foreclosure issues.
Lucy also represents individuals and corporate clients in both the state and federal appellate courts on a broad range of legal issues. Additionally, she represents amicus curiae parties regarding significant issues of Indiana law before Indiana’s Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Handled appeals to the Indiana Supreme Court, including but not limited to Reiswerg v. Statom, 926 N.E.2d 26 (Ind. 2010); Williams v. Tharp, 914 N.E.2d 756 (Ind. 2009); Schriber v. Anonymous, 848 N.E.2d 1061 (Ind. 2006); Johnson v. Celebration Fireworks, Inc., 829 N.E.2d 979 (Ind. 2005); and Gribben v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 824 N.E.2d 349 (Ind. 2005).
- Represented amicus curiae parties on appeals to the Indiana Supreme Court, including but not limited to Santelli v. Rahmatullah, 993 N.E.2d 167 (Ind. 2013), Kovach v. Caligor Midwest, 913 N.E.2d 193 (Ind. 2009); Speedway SuperAmerica, LLC v. Holmes, 885 N.E.2d 1265 (Ind. 2008).
- Handled appeals to the Indiana Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, including but not limited to Myers v. Rising Sun-Ohio County Community School Corp., 2012 WL 170745 (Ind. Ct. App. 2012); Shaffer v. Wells Fargo Bank Nat. Ass’n., 2001 WL 1641900 (Ind. Ct. App. May 2, 2011); Vaught v. Unique Specialty Group, Inc., 2009 WL 973437 (Ind. Ct. App. April 9, 2009); Riggs v. Lafayette Emergency Care, 880 N.E.2d 338 (Ind. Ct. App. 2008); Estate of Hillsamer v. Sun Trust Bank, 899 N.E.2d 753 (Ind. Ct. App. 2008); Purcell v. S. Hills Invs., LLC, 847 N.E.2d 991 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006); Perryman v. Motorist Mut. Ins. Co., 846 N.E.2d 683 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006); Black Agents & Brokers v. Near North Ins. Brokerage, Inc., 409 F.3d 833 (7th Cir. 2005); and Showboat Marina Casino P’ship v. Tonn & Blank Constr., 790 N.E.2d 595 (Ind. Ct. App. 2003).
Education and Honors
- Indiana University – Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2002)
- Butler University (B.A., cum laude, 1998)
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (Amicus Curiae Committee Vice Chair)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Appellate Practice Section (Executive Committee) and past President (2013)
- Women in Law Division (Executive Committee)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Appellate Practice Section)
- American Bar Association (Council of Appellate Lawyers)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member)
- Sagamore American Inn of Court (2007-2009)
- Champ Camp, Inc., a nonprofit dedicated to children with tracheostomies and in need of respiratory assistance (Board of Directors since 2006)
- Butler University, “Count It! For Cat” annual SIDS awareness and fundraising event (Volunteer)
- Indianapolis Bar Association Ask A Lawyer Program (Volunteer)
- Indiana Defense Lawyer of the Year (DTCI) (2013)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2014, 2015)
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers-Rising Stars® (2010-2012)
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Distinguished Fellow (Since 2012)
- IADC Trial Academy, Stanford Law School (2008)
- Indiana Bar Association’s Bar Leader Series III (Graduate, 2006)