Margaret Utterback is the current chair of the Madison Business Law Practice Group and former co-chair of the firm’s Data Privacy & Security team. She practices in the areas of commercial finance, data privacy and security, commercial law, and mergers and acquisitions. She has experience representing clients in corporate transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures. In addition, her practice includes health care mergers and acquisitions and public finance transactions as borrower’s counsel. Ms. Utterback’s recent projects include
- Counsel for independent nonprofit hospital in an affiliation transaction resulting in a new sole member, and a secondary transaction transferring the stock of a wholly owned insurer to the new member.
- Counsel to publicly and privately held clients in connection with negotiating and restructuring credit facilities.
- Counsel to commercial lenders and borrowers in single lender and syndicated credit transactions and secured and unsecured financings.
- Counsel to privately held clients in connection with response to data breaches, including breaches resulting from attacks on point of sale systems, stolen equipment, and inadvertent breaches.
- Counsel to privately held clients in connection with development and implementation of data security breach response plans, document retention policies, and ”Bring Your Own Device” policies.
- Counsel to retail and manufacturing clients in connection with acquisition by privately held companies.
- Representation of health care and senior living facilities as borrowers in connection with tax-exempt bond financing projects and other transactions.
- Negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements, including manufacturer’s representative agreements, broker agreements, confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, supply agreements, standard terms and conditions of sale and purchase, power purchase agreements, and third-party legal opinions.
- Business Law
- Data Privacy & Security
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Health & Life Sciences
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2001)
- Wisconsin Law Review (Senior Note and Comment Editor, 2000–2001; Member, 1999–2000)
- United States Naval Academy (B.S., 1987)
- with merit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2001
Professional and Civic Activities
- University of Wisconsin Madison Law School, Adjunct Faculty (2011–2013)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member, 2001–present)
- American Bar Association (Member, 2001–present)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (Member)
- Blue and Gold Officer (2000–2013)
- Board of Directors, Children’s Theatre of Madison, Inc. (2011–present)
- Board of Directors, Girl Scouts of Wisconsin – Badgerland, Inc. (2014–present; Chair, 2015–present)
- Board of Directors, Second Harvest Food Bank of Southern Wisconsin (2015–present)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2016–present: Banking & Finance)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013–present: Corporate Compliance Law; Corporate Law)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® 2016 (Business/Corporate)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Editions 2008–2010 (Business/Corporate)