Marla Anderson is a partner in the firm's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Law Group. She has significant experience representing tax-exempt entities, including health care systems, and other entities in the health and life sciences industry in all aspects of employee benefits. Her recent experience includes:
- Providing ongoing counseling on plan design and administration for various types of retirement and nonqualified deferred compensation plans, including compliance with the statutory requirements of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 ("ERISA") and the Internal Revenue Code.
- Drafting and reviewing various types of retirement plans, including defined benefit, cash balance, profit sharing, 401(k), and 403(b).
- Reviewing and analyzing governance structure under clients’ employee benefits plans and assisting clients with understanding their fiduciary obligations and implementing “best practices”.
- Implementing and amending deferred compensation plans for compliance with IRC Section 409A.
- Assessing the impact of legal changes on cash balance plans.
- Assisting clients with the evaluation of vendors and the negotiation and transition to new vendors.
- Analyzing potential plan design changes for defined benefit plans, including mergers, freezes, and defined benefit/defined contribution choice programs, in response to underfunding and uncertainty with respect to future pension liabilities.
- Implementing and amending various types of deferred compensation plans, including 457(b) and 457(f) plans.
- Assisting clients with Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor audits, inquiries, and correction programs.
- Health & Life Sciences
- Labor & Employment
- Employee Benefits
- Higher Education
- Hospitals & Health Systems
- Research Institutions
Education and Honors
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Certificate in Health Law
- Dartmouth College (A.B., 1993)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2000
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association (Member)