Martha Jahn Snyder is an intellectual property litigator practicing in the firm's Intellectual Property Group. Her recent experience includes:
- Representation of telecommunications company in patent litigation against its primary competitor. Obtained judgment of infringement and validity of all asserted claims (across 8 patents), as well as invalidity of all 29 patent claims of competitor’s patent, and dismissal of all other counterclaims. After a two-week trial in federal court, the jury awarded client $44.1 million in past damages.
- Representation of telecommunications company in patent litigation against its primary competitors. Obtained judgment of infringement and validity of all asserted patent claims. After an eight-day trial in federal court, the jury awarded client its full requested award of $5.44 million in past damages.
- Representation of plow and truck manufacturer in patent litigation. Obtained summary judgment of infringement and validity on all patent claims.
- Representation of stem cell company in a patent dispute regarding the client’s core technology. After a five-day arbitration hearing, obtained a judgment that none of the client’s processes practiced any of the asserted claims.
- Representation of healthcare software company in patent disputes in the Northern District of Texas. In multiple cases, obtained case dismissals as a result of Motions to Dismiss for lack of patentable subject matter under 35 U.S.C. § 101.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in arbitrated patent dispute over client's most important drug discovery. Obtained judgment of no liability and invalidated all asserted patent claims.
- Representation of food manufacturer and research institution in a successful patent enforcement program involving 13 defendants in six patent infringement cases.
- Representation of companies in patent license disputes in front of the American Arbitration Association.
- Representation of wireless networking company in patent litigation, involving patents allegedly essential to the IEEE 802.11 standard. Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement on all claims.
- Representation of defendants sued by non-practicing entities (patent trolls) in patent infringement litigation in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Representation of practicing entities and research institutions in monetizing patent portfolios.
- Representation of companies in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Enforcement of clients' rights in trademarks and trade names.
- Representation of companies seeking to protect trade secrets from disclosure under Wisconsin, Ohio, Washington, and Texas public records laws.
- Representation of manufacturer of guitars against false marking claims.
- Representation of manufacturer of children's products in a patent infringement litigation involving injection-molded plastic products. Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Representation of Complainant in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceeding before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Succeeded in having disputed domain name transferred to client.
- Representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in trade secret cases.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
Education and Honors
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Syracuse Law Review (Form & Accuracy Editor)
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- Cornell University (B.S.)
- Major: Operations Research & Industrial Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Professional and Civic Activities
- Tri 4 Schools (Board Member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Dane County Bar Association (Member)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member)
- Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar (Member)
- Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Quarles & Brady Diversity Committee (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® -Rising Stars 2011–2014 Editions (Intellectual Property Litigation)