Martha Jahn Snyder is an intellectual property litigator with experience litigating patent, trade secrets, and trademarks, as well as associated torts and business disputes. Her recent experience includes:
- Representation of sheet piling company in business dispute against former employees, their new company and investors, and pipeline company for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference with a business relationship, and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Representation of telecommunications company in patent litigation against its primary competitor. Obtained judgment of infringement and validity of all asserted claims (across 8 patents), as well as invalidity of all 29 patent claims of competitor’s patent, and dismissal of all other counterclaims. After a two-week trial in federal court, the jury awarded client $44.1 million in past damages.
- Representation of defendants in the injection mold manufacturing industry in a suit involving claims of trade secret misappropriation, violations of the RICO Act, patent infringement, violations of the CFAA, and other intentional torts. Won summary judgment on the patent, RICO, and CFAA claims, and succeeded in front of a jury on the intentional torts and twelve asserted trade secrets.
- Representation of plow and truck manufacturer in patent litigation. Obtained summary judgment of infringement and validity on all patent claims.
- Served as local counsel for healthcare software company in assertion of misappropriation of trade secrets claims against major international competitor. After trial in federal court, jury returned a $940 million verdict.
- Representation of companies seeking to protect trade secrets from disclosure under Wisconsin, Ohio, Washington, and Texas public records laws.
- Representation of telecommunications company in patent litigation against its primary competitors. Obtained judgment of infringement and validity of all asserted patent claims. After an eight-day trial in federal court, the jury awarded client its full requested award of $5.44 million in past damages.
- Representation of stem cell company in a patent dispute regarding the client’s core technology. After a five-day arbitration hearing, obtained a judgment that none of the client’s processes practiced any of the asserted claims.
- Representation of healthcare software company in patent disputes in the Eastern District of Texas. In multiple cases, obtained case dismissals as a result of Motions to Dismiss for lack of patentable subject matter under 35 U.S.C. § 101, including one dismissal that was affirmed by the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of healthcare software company sued in the Northern District of Texas for a declaratory judgment of no trademark infringement. Successfully got the case dismissed for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in arbitrated patent dispute over client's most important drug discovery. Obtained judgment of no liability and invalidated all asserted patent claims.
- Representation of food manufacturer and research institution in a successful patent enforcement program involving 13 defendants in six patent infringement cases.
- Representation of wireless networking company in patent litigation, involving patents allegedly essential to the IEEE 802.11 standard. Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement on all claims.
- Representation of companies in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representation of manufacturer of guitars against false marking claims.
- Representation of manufacturer of children's products in a patent infringement litigation involving injection-molded plastic products. Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Representation of Complainant in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceeding before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Succeeded in having disputed domain name transferred to client.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
Education and Honors
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Syracuse Law Review (Form & Accuracy Editor)
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- Cornell University (B.S.)
- Major: Operations Research & Industrial Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Professional and Civic Activities
- Tri 4 Schools (Board Member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Dane County Bar Association (Member)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member)
- Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar (Member)
- Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Quarles & Brady Diversity Committee (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® -Rising Stars 2011–2014 Editions (Intellectual Property Litigation)