Matthew Duchemin is an intellectual property litigator with broad experience in both intellectual property and commercial disputes involving patents, copyrights, trade secrets, business ownership issues, insurance broker malpractice and other commercial issues. He represents clients in state and federal courts and before insurance regulatory bodies. His experience includes:
- Obtaining successful jury verdict in a software patent case in the Western District of Wisconsin on behalf of the leading marketer, distributor and technology innovator of stored-value gift and prepaid products.
- Representing consumer food products company in patent dispute against many of the world's largest food manufacturers in the Northern District of Illinois before Judge Richard A. Posner, sitting by designation.
- Representing healthcare software manufacturer in patent infringement litigation in the Eastern District of Texas and in oppositions before the TTAB.
- Representing plastic injection mold manufacturer in patent/trade secrets litigation in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Representing manufacturer of hydraulic cylinders in copyright/trade secrets litigation in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Representing toy manufacturer in patent infringement litigation in the District of Utah.
- Representing the world's largest insurance broker in broker malpractice litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- Representing a medical clinic in employment litigation brought by former physician. Physician voluntarily dismissed with prejudice for no payment after the first day of a jury trial in the Western District of Wisconsin.
- Obtaining favorable decision after a court trial in the Western District of Wisconsin on behalf of a wood treating company in a commercial contract dispute.
- Arguing before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in a commercial contract dispute.
- Arguing before the Supreme Court of Wisconsin in an insurance regulatory dispute.
- Denil, et al. v. deBoer, Inc., 650 F.3d 635 (7th Cir. 2011).
- MercyCare Ins. Co., et al. v. Wisconsin Comm'r of Ins., 328 Wis. 2d 110, 786 N.W.2d 785 (2010).
- von Holdt, Jr. v. A-1 Tool Corp., 2010 WL 1980101 (N. D. Ill. May 17, 2010).
- Northern Crossarm, Inc. v. Chemical Specialties, Inc., 332 F. Supp. 2d 1181 (W.D. Wis. 2004).
- Delmarva Power & Light v. Meter-Treater, Inc., 218 F. Supp. 2d 564 (D. Del. 2002).
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Trademarks & Copyrights
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1999)
- Marquette Law Review (Managing Editor).
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Dane County Bar Association (Member)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member, Eastern and Western Districts; Board of Governors, Western District)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars Editions 2007-2008, 2011-2012 (Business Litigation; Intellectual Property Litigation)