Mike Aldana is a partner in the firm's Labor & Employment Group. He represents a broad range of employers in all facets of labor and employment law. Mike has substantial experience in defending employers in employment discrimination cases, wrongful discharge lawsuits, wage and hour claims, and union litigation in federal and state courts and before federal and state agencies. He also negotiates, on an ongoing basis, numerous collective bargaining agreements and assists employers in contract administration and arbitrations. He regularly counsels employers on day-to-day human resources issues and assists employers in reductions in forces and employment-related issues related to acquisitions and mergers. Mike is a frequent lecturer, both statewide and nationally, on employment, civil rights, education law, and constitutional topics.
Recent counseling and litigation experiences:
- Representation of numerous clients in reductions in force in several states.
- Representation of clients in developing background screening procedures, to ensure FCRA, EEOC and state law compliance and in litigation regarding these issues.
- Successful defense of employers in nationwide class actions wage and hour cases.
- Successful representation of client in disability class action lawsuit, resulting in complete dismissal of claims upon appeal to Seventh Circuit and recoupment of attorneys fees.
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1990)
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (B.A., 1987)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
Professional and Civic Activities
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member, Labor and Employment Section)
- Federal Labor Standards Committee (Contributing Editor)
- Wisconsin School Attorneys Association (President, 2004–2005)
- Next Door Foundation (Board of Directors)
- Mental Health Association of Wisconsin (Board of Directors)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2007–present: Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Litigation – Labor & Employment)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2011-16 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Employment & Labor, Schools & Education)