Michael Labbee is a member of the firm's Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group where he represents clients at both the trial and appellate levels in the areas of general business litigation, admiralty litigation, and ERISA litigation. At the trial level, Michael has represented clients in both state and federal courts throughout Florida. At the appellate level, Michael has represented clients in each of Florida's five district courts of appeal, the Florida Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Michael has experience representing clients in matters involving complex contract claims, business torts, products liability claims, real estate disputes, and insurance coverage issues.
Additionally, Michael represents clients in all phases of admiralty litigation including in rem actions, Rule B attachment actions, collisions, allisions, cargo cases, pollution matters, Jones Act and LHWCA actions, limitation of liability petitions, marine insurance, and contract matters.
He also represents clients in lawsuits involving the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 ("ERISA"). Michael provides representation on preemption issues, benefits litigation, COBRA litigation, and fiduciary litigation under ERISA.
Michael received his J.D. from Stetson University College of Law with certificate of concentration in advocacy. While attending Stetson, Michael received high grade awards in Trial Advocacy and Products Liability, completed Stetson's Honors Programs, worked as a research assistant for professors Tim Kaye and Jason Bent, and served as a Notes and Comments Editor for the Stetson Law Review. While in law school Michael also interned for the Honorable Pamela A.M. Campbell of Florida's Sixth Judicial Circuit.
Education and Honors
- Stetson University College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2013)
- Stetson Law Review (Notes and Comments Editor)
- International Law Society (Vice President)
- Barney Masterson Inn of Court (Member); Phi Alpha Delta
- High Grade Awards - Trial Advocacy and Products Liability
- University of Central Florida (B.S., 2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Professional and Civic Activities
- Florida Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (TIPS - Admiralty Law Committee, Employee Benefits Committee)
- University Club of Tampa
- The Tampa Connection (Class Member, 2016-2017)
- The University of Tampa Board of Counselors
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated