Mike McCauley served as Chair of Quarles & Brady's national Environmental Law Practice Group from 1986 to 2007. He counseled corporate clients in all aspects of environmental management and dispute resolution. His practice included special emphasis on the Clean Air Act and Clean Energy issues, environmental assessments in business and real estate transactions, and providing advice on environmental compliance issues. Mr. McCauley represented clients in state and federal courts, and before the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and other state and federal environmental agencies. His experience included:
- Representing a variety of industrial clients (paper mills, foundries and general manufacturers) in the defense of Clean Air Act enforcement cases, Notices of Violation and civil investigations.
- Providing strategic advice on environmental due diligence issues for mergers and acquisitions of several large national corporations. Mr. McCauley advised clients on alternative fuel and renewable energy projects, carbon regulation issues, and corporate sustainability policies.
- Representing a large Midwestern utility in the environmental permitting for the construction and operation of 2,280 megawatts (MW) of new electrical power generation.
- Serving as primary outside environmental legal counsel for two national paper manufacturing companies.
Education and Honors
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., highest distinction, 1977)
- Iowa Law Review (Board of Editors, 1976-1977), Order of the Coif.
- Harvard University (M.P.A., 1974)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., magna cum laude, 1969)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1977
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1977
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member: State Bar of Wisconsin (Board of Directors, Environmental Law Section, 1990-1993); American Bar Association Air Quality Committee (Vice Chair, 1993-1999); American Bar Association Environmental Quality Committee (Vice Chair, 1990-1992); Milwaukee Bar Association; Wisconsin Air and Waste Management Association (Board of Directors); Wisconsin Environmental Law and Regulation Reporter (Advisory Board Member, 1992-1998); Environmental Law Institute; Wisconsin Environmental Working Group, Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce Association (1995-2007)
- Member: Steering Committee of the National Climate Change Law Forum, Charlottesville, VA (2010); Board of Directors of the Shorewood Foundation (2006-present); Village of Shorewood Board of Review, 1980-90 (Chairman, 1988-1990); Indo-Chinese Refugee Tutor Program (Advisory Board of Directors, 1988-1993); St. Robert Parish Finance Committee (1982-1986); Archbishop's Stewardship Appeal (Parish Chair), 1990-2008; Downtown Milwaukee Kiwanis Club, 2002-2005; National Association of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated. AV rating signifies that the attorney is preeminent in a particular field of law practice, with significant accomplishments achieved at a high level of professional excellence
- American College of Environmental Lawyers (Elected Fellow, 2009)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2010-2014: Natural Resources & Environment)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® (1991-2015: Energy Law / Environmental Law / Litigation - Environmental)
- Named the 2012 Milwaukee Environmental Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America®
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2013 Milwaukee Energy Law "Lawyer of the Year."
- Received the 2012 "Leaders in the Law" award from the Wisconsin Law Journal