Nicole Bashor is an attorney in the Intellectual Property Group who provides counseling on patent, trademark, copyright, and social media issues. Nicole assists clients in all stages of business development to implement long-term intellectual property strategies that integrate the procurement and enforcement of intellectual property rights. She also has experience in prosecuting, litigating, and licensing for patents, trademarks, and copyrights, both nationally and internationally.
Nicole represents companies in a broad range of industries, including fashion, consumer products, software, social networking, food and beverage, and manufacturing. Her recent experience includes
- Drafting and prosecuting utility and design patent applications in the chemical, mechanical, and medical device arts before the U.S. and European Patent Offices and representing companies in patent litigation matters.
- Trademark prosecution and brand counseling, including selecting, clearing, registering, and enforcing trademarks, as well as representing businesses in trademark oppositions at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and in trademark litigation matters involving claims arising from the Lanham Act, false advertising, and unfair competition.
- Conducting reviews and issuing opinions in matters related to patentability, right-to-practice, patent (in)validity, and patent infringement.
- Negotiating and drafting technology transfer agreements and conducting due diligence matters for merger with or acquisitions of numerous target companies.
- Drafting and reviewing other licensing agreements, contracts, non-disclosures, and cease and desist letters.
- Drafting domain name dispute resolution complaints and counseling clients on social media issues, including website terms of service, trademark keyword and adword issues, and cybersquatting.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Trademarks and Copyrights
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
Education and Honors
- John Marshall Law School (J.D., 2007)
- Certificate in Intellectual Property
- Review of Intellectual Property Law (Staff Editor)
- Moot Court
- University of Pittsburgh (B.S., 2001)
- Major: Chemical Engineering
- Society of Women Engineers (Member)
- Rainbow Alliance (President)
- University of Pittsburgh Women's Soccer
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- Lesbian & Gay Bar Association of Chicago (First Vice President, Board of Directors, and Community Outreach Committee Chair)
- International Trademark Association (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in “Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40 – Class of 2014” by the National Lesbian and Gay Bar Association
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition 2014 (Intellectual Property)
- Co-author, CLS Bank v. Alice Corp., Client Alert, June 2014
- Ritche v. Vast, Case Review for the American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Annual Review, 2010
- "The Cache Cow: Can Caching and Copyright Co-exist?". 6 John Marshall Review of Intellectual Property Litigation, vol. 6, p. 101 (2006)