Nicole (Nikki) Murray focuses her practice on branding, advertising, and promotions matters. She counsels clients on intellectual property issues, including trademark and copyright infringement, licensing, and portfolio management. She also counsels clients on marketing and advertising issues arising both in traditional media and on social media platforms. Nikki represents companies in a broad range of industries, including consumer products, advertising, and manufacturing. She assists clients in the acquisition, protection, and exploitation of their intellectual property around the world.
- Counseling clients on how to structure sweepstakes, contests, and promotions and reviewing traditional and social media advertising campaigns for legal compliance.
- Negotiating trademark license and celebrity spokesperson agreements for a major U.S. home furnishings manufacturer.
- Negotiating amphitheater sponsorship and naming rights for a food and beverage franchise.
- Negotiating of advertising agency and promotion fulfillment agreements for a major U.S. home furnishings manufacturer, a consumer products company, and a major full-service dining company.
- Advising clients on compliance issues associated with gift cards, rebates, coupons, and loyalty programs.
- Advising clients on compliance issues associated with text and email based marketing. Advising clients on "green" advertising claims and marketing.
- Trademark prosecution and counseling, including selecting, clearing, and registering trademarks, as well as representing businesses in trademark oppositions and cancellations.
- Negotiating publishing agreements for both commercial and non-profit entities.
- Represented Cabela’s in a patent infringement and trade dress suit in the Southern District of California, related to cold weather headwear.
- Represented a food manufacturer in a trademark infringement suit in the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Represented an internet company in a trademark infringement suit in the Central District of Illinois
- Represented a plumbing manufacturer in a patent infringement suit in the Northern District of Illinois
- Represented a video game manufacturer in a copyright infringement suit in the Central District of California
- Represented a drug manufacturer in a trademark infringement suit in the District of New Jersey and the Third Circuit
- Represented a higher education client in a trademark infringement suit in the Northern District of Illinois
- Represented a pool supply company in a trade secret misappropriation case in the Northern District of Illinois
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- False Advertising & Lanham Act
- Trademarks & Copyrights
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Business Law
- Trademark Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
Education and Honors
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Purdue University (B.S., 1998)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional and Civic Activities
- International Trademark Association (Member)
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts (Volunteer)
- Lifeline Theatre (Board Member)
- Brand Activation Association (Chicago Chapter Committee Member)
- Selected as an Illinois Emerging Lawyer - Leading Lawyers Network, 2017–present (Copyright & Trademark, Intellectual Property)
- In 2016, Nikki was named in World Trademark Review 1000, a guide to the world's leading trademark practitioners. The publication notes that “She is extraordinarily knowledgeable on the subject of trademark law, enormously talented and personable for client - a sterling professional.”
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2010–2011, 2013–present: Intellectual Property)