One Renaissance Square
Two North Central Avenue
Nicole Stanton practices in the area of litigation. Her recent experience includes:
- Defense of local and national law firms in legal malpractice actions.
- Defense of a global accounting firm against allegations of fraud, negligent misrepresentation and failure to comply with GAAS arising out of auditing work completed by the accounting firm on a company involved in a merger transaction.
- Obtained early dismissal of 10 out of 10 claims against a financial institution, in a lender liability matter arising out of a defaulted loan obtained by a limited liability company formed by two real estate joint ventures. The claims included negligent misrepresentation, breach of contract, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, aiding and abetting, unjust enrichment and civil conspiracy.
- Defense of a Big Five accounting firm in multiple simultaneous proceedings in federal and state court involving both civil and criminal litigation.
- Defense of international insurance brokerage company against allegations of broker malpractice.
- Defense of actuarial and benefits consulting firm against professional liability claims brought by trustee and pension plans.
- Assisting in the defense of a telecommunications provider against alleged violations of the Arizona Consumer Fraud Act.
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2000)
Order of the Coif. Articles Editor, Arizona Law Review.
- University of Utah (B.S., 1995)
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2000
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2012-present: Commercial Litigation / Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants).
- Selected for inclusion in the 2013-2014 Southwest Super Lawyers® list (Professional Liability: Defense) and named among the Top 25 Female lawyers in the Southwest.
- Listed in the “50 Most Influential Women in Arizona Business” by AZ Business Magazine for 2013.
- Named in the "Outstanding Service by a Woman" category of the 2013 Echo Magazine Readers’ Choice Awards.
- Received the 2013 Judge Learned Hand Emerging Leader Award from the American Jewish Committee, Arizona Chapter.
- Named a Dynamic Woman in Business by the Phoenix Business Journal (2013).
- Named with her husband as "Man and Woman of the Year" for 2012 by Echo Magazine.
- Recipient of the 2012 Ally for Equality Award from the Arizona Chapter of the Human Rights Campaign (“HRC”).
- Recipient of the “Al” Brooks Community Leadership Award from the Anti-Defamation League - Arizona Chapter.
- Recognized by AGUILA Youth Leadership Institute for her work on anti-bullying and support of the AGUILA program (2012).
- Received the “Emerging Star” award from Emerge Arizona (2012).
- Received the Mayor Phil Gordon Spirit Award from Phoenix Pride (2012).
- YWCA of Maricopa County’s 2011 Tribute to Women Honoree (Business Leader Category).
- Award Recipient, The Business Journal’s Class of 2005 “Forty Under 40.”
- Honoree and “Top Woman” Award Recipient, AZ’s Finest Competition, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Arizona, 2004.
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Arizona Appointments Committee (Member, 2008–2011).
- State Bar of Arizona Mentor Committee (Member, 2003–2008).
- State Bar of Arizona (Member).
- American Bar Association (Member).
- Associate Evaluation Committee, Quarles & Brady (Member).
- Young Lawyers Division of the State Bar of Arizona (Member, Executive Council 2001–2005).
- Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law (Adjunct Professor, teaching professional responsibility, Fall Semester 2011, Spring Semester 2013, Spring Semester 2014).
- Law Clerk, Hon. Charles E. Jones, Vice Chief Justice, Arizona Supreme Court, (2000–2001).
- Stop Bullying AZ, and organization dedicated to the prevention of bullying in Arizona schools (Founder, 2012–present).
- Charter 100 Women (Member, 2009–present).
- Valley Leadership Class XXIX (Graduate).
- Women’s Metropolitan Arts Council (WOMAC) of the Phoenix Art Museum (Founding Board Member and Past President, 2004–2013).
- Governor Janet Napolitano's 2006 Re-Election Campaign (Co-Chair, "Women for Janet").
- Arizona Educational Foundation (Board Member, 2005–2007).
- Arizona Women’s Employment & Education, Inc. (AWEE) (Co-Chair, Special Projects Committee, 2004–2007).
- AZ’s Finest Up & Coming Couples Event, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Arizona (Chair, 2005).
- Arizona Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (AZSPCA) (Rescue Volunteer, 2003–2006).
- Capital School Homeroom Parent (2001–2004).
- Lawyers for Literacy (1998–2000).
- Tortolita Middle School Teen Court (Judge, 1999–2000).
- Minority Law Students Association Academic Tutoring Program (Volunteer Tutor, 1998–2000).
- Archway Classical Academy (Member, 2012–present).
- Featured, “The firm’s first lady,” AB Business Magazine, March/April 2014.
- Keynote Address, Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (AZHCC) 3rd Annual Power of the Purse, March 7, 2014.
- Keynote Address, Phoenix Business Journal's Dynamic Women in Business, February 13, 2014.
- Featured, “Keeping Busy: The First Lady of Phoenix has a very busy calendar,” Uptown magazine, February 2014.
- Featured, “Two at the Top,” Frontdoors, November 2013.
- Panelist, Creating the Individual Path: Influences and Inspirations, Panelist, Arizona Women Lawyer's Association (“AWLA”) Annual Convention, November 1, 2013.
- Speaker, “Empowerment in the Workplace: Creating a Bully-Free Zone,” City of Phoenix Human Relations Commission and Equal Opportunity Department, November 15, 2013.
- Moderator and Presenter, Quarles & Brady Annual Legal Ethics Seminar, “Truthiness and Ethics in Negotiation and Mediation: Who Can and Should You Trust?” Milwaukee, WI, November 8, 2013.
- Presenter, “Having It All… Making Time for What Matters,” Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce Professional Women’s Alliance, June 4, 2013.
- Quoted, “Legal eagles take new associates under their wings,” Phoenix Business Journal, January 25, 2013.
- Founder, Stop Bullying AZ, community advocacy and education group to prevent bullying, January 2012-present.
- Co-Host, Phoenix Mercury Bullying Prevention Field Trip, US Airways Arena, September 13, 2012 and September 25, 2013.
- Speaker, Mothers Awareness on School-Age Kids Unity Community Luncheon, keynote speaker, August 30, 2012.
- Speaker, 2012 Women’s Economic Forum, Phoenix Women’s Commission, October 24, 2012.
- Speaker, PetSmart’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Phoenix, Arizona, June 14, 2012.
- Presenter, “Ethics Surrounding the Use of Social Media in Litigation and Daily Practice,” DRI Business Litigation and Intellectual Property Seminar, New York, NY, May 16-18, 2012.
- Presenter, Quarles & Brady LLP Fifth Annual Specialized CLE for In-House Counsel, “Which Hat Are You Wearing? Does It Affect Your Ethical Obligations?” June 23, 2011.
- Co-author, “Professionals Beware: The Ubiquity of Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims,” Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Spring 2011.
- Presenter, “Top Ten Ways to Have Fun Practicing Law and Avoid Being Sued For It,” May 4, 2011.
- Panelist, “Life is ‘Tweet’…When You Understand the Legal and Ethical Implications of Social Media!” 2011 Equipment Leasing and Finance Association (ELFA) Legal Forum, May 3, 2011.
- Faculty, “State Bar of Arizona Course on Professionalism,” August 25, 2010, October 17, 2012.
- Presenter, “Lender Liability on the Rise: Lessons Learned from the Last Financial Meltdown Can Help Lenders Avoid Liability Claims,” February 2010, November 2009, August 2009.
- Featured, “Best Law Firms for Women,” 12 News, Maricopa County, Arizona, 2009.
- Guest Lecturer, “Ethics for Paralegals,” Phoenix College, February 2008, September 2008, February 2009, September 2009.
- Presenter, Quarles & Brady LLP Third Annual Specialized CLE for In-House Counsel, “Yes - The Ethical Rules Apply to You!,” ethical considerations for in-house lawyers, June 2009.
- Presenter, “The Transactional Lawyers as Witness,” State Bar of Arizona annual convention, June 2009.
- Guest Lecturer, Phoenix International School of Law, September 2005 and March 2006.
- Co-author, Advanced Issues in Arizona Employment Law, NBI seminar publication, 2002.
- Presenter, “Lessons for CPAs from the Baptist Foundation of Arizona Case,” December 2002.
- Author, Women in the Law, AWLA newsletters, 2000-2001.
- Contributor, Arizona and Federal Employment Law An Employer’s Guide, Arizona Chamber of Commerce publication, 1999.