Randall Fearnow concentrates his practice in the area of health care. His experience includes many years representing the interests of health care providers in state and federal trial and appellate courts. He often represents health care providers who have become the focus of state or federal audits or investigations or when facing qui tam and civil false claims allegations. Randy worked in various capacities with the Indiana General Assembly from 1983 to 1998, including five sessions as Chief Counsel to the Senate from 1993 to 1998. From 1985 to 1987, he served as General Counsel and Vice President of Government Relations for the Indiana Health Care Association. He advises physicians, nursing facilities, home health agencies, hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, transportation providers, pharmacies, and other health care companies on a variety of regulatory issues.
- Lead counsel in several cases establishing important precedents in Administrative Law.
- Trial and Appellate counsel in a case overturning an unauthorized state agency moratorium.
- Class counsel in a series of cases establishing requirements for injunctive relief against the states.
- Lobbied successfully on behalf of the Indiana nursing home industry for coverage under the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act.
- Defended at trial and on appeal an order imposing increased Medicaid reimbursement for a provider of specialized services for the developmentally disabled.
- Has represented pharmacy providers on reimbursement issues in state and federal proceedings.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University – Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., 1981)
- University of Indianapolis (B.A., magna cum laude, 1977)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 1981
Professional and Civic Activities
- Chicago Bar Association (Member, 2009–present)
- Chicago Bar Foundation (Member, 2010–present)
- American Health Lawyers Association (Member, 1989–present)
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Member, 1993–present)
- Indiana State Bar Association – Health Care & Medicine Section (Past President)
- Columbia Club (Member, 1989–present)
- Indiana University Foundation Well House Society (Member)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member, 2009)
- Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys (Member)
- Union League Club of Chicago (Member, 2009–present)