Quarles & Brady’s Data Center Team includes nationally recognized real estate and energy law attorneys with extensive experience in all aspects of sophisticated Data Center projects. Having represented developers, owners, operators, and tenants, our lawyers understand the challenges and opportunities involved in designing, constructing, operating, and maintaining Data Centers. The 24/7/365 nature of Data Centers requires complex systems with an extremely high level of security and redundancy, including critical operational and backup power, cooling, bandwidth, and security. Our lawyers understand these operational details and requirements, as well as the relevant legal issues and concerns that require experienced, thoughtful counsel to maximize the success of a Data Center project. We know how to get deals done, while providing seasoned and effective legal advice to protect our clients’ interests.
Quarles & Brady operates as an integrated business unit across all nine U.S. offices, calling upon resources throughout the organization as needed to serve our clients as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. We have relationships with many of the most prominent national players in the Data Center world, as well as with regulated and alternative energy suppliers, lenders, consultants, construction companies and other parties that play key roles in Data Center project development and implementation.
Teaming Up to Provide Solutions for Complex Data Center Projects
Quarles & Brady’s Data Center Team has in-depth real estate and energy law experience to provide counseling and legal services to clients nationwide. With nearly 50 attorneys in our national Real Estate and Energy Law Practice Groups, working from our offices in Illinois, Arizona, Florida, and Wisconsin, we match attorneys’ skills and experience with our clients’ individual needs and goals. The collaborative environment and varied experiences of our lawyers provides a level of service and responsiveness upon which Quarles & Brady’s reputation is built. Our specific Data Center capabilities include:
- Preliminary identification of potential Data Center locations and related planning.
- Initial design and construction of electric facilities (for primary and backup power), including transmission and delivery system interconnection and upgrades.
- Evaluation and acquisition of real estate, including green field sites, existing structures for redevelopment as Data Center and/or operational Data Centers.
- Land use and zoning.
- Counseling regarding power supply procurement arrangements, analysis of utility tariffs, and negotiation of contracts.
- Negotiation of architect design agreements, construction contracts, and other related documentation.
- Construction, term, mezzanine, and revolving credit line financing.
- Preparation and negotiation (for owners and users) of Data Center lease agreements and collocation agreements for purpose-built Data Center properties and within office buildings.
- Preparation and negotiation of agreements relating to Data Center operations such as electrical power agreements, fiber connectivity agreements and licenses, master services agreements, service level agreements, IRU agreements and managed service agreements.
- Coordination with local utilities to ensure redundant power supplies and maximize value realized from energy efficiency and demand response programs.
For more information on how we can help with your data center needs, please contact Theodore I. Yi at (312) 715-5209 / email@example.com