Real Estate Finance
Our financing attorneys — working with our bankruptcy and creditors' rights
attorneys — have developed a sophisticated and broad-based workout practice for our lending clients. We also help owners of distressed properties work out their obligations owed to lenders and other parties. Our real estate attorneys remain active in all phases of a loan, from the application stage to loan closing and from loan modifications to workouts, restructuring and foreclosure.
We represent community, regional and national banks, insurance companies, hedge funds and pension funds involved in real estate financing throughout the country. Our attorneys understand the capital markets that drive real estate financing and regularly counsel lenders regarding current market conditions for construction, conduit, mezzanine, permanent and interim financings and debt structure for loans ranging from $500,000 to in excess of $1 billion. Our integrated national platform enables us to cost-effectively handle all real estate financing matters, from routine single-property financings to complex multijurisdictional, multiple debt level, participated and syndicated financings, workouts and enforcement. We are familiar with all of the requirements for commercial mortgage-backed securities and for structuring senior and mezzanine loans and pooled investment funds.
Recent representative transactions:
- Representing a national bank in the workout, restructure and enforcement of real estate loans made to a real estate developer and its affiliated companies on projects throughout the country; the aggregate indebtedness outstanding exceeded $1 billion.
- Representing a hedge fund in negotiating and structuring a subordinated mezzanine loan and the terms of an intercreditor agreement for a $100 million new construction mixed-use residential project located in Chicago, Illinois.
- Representing a large regional bank in connection with a $25 million refinancing for stabilized parking facilities.
- Representing a large regional bank in connection with a $116 million construction loan (the largest commercial loan to date in the Madison market) for a two tower, mixed-use development adjacent to the UW-Madison campus.
- Serving as Midwest regional counsel for a major life insurance company in connection with its mortgage lending work affecting apartment, office, industrial and retail properties throughout the country, and especially in the Midwestern states of Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio and Wisconsin.
- Bank of America
- BMO Harris Bank
- Copper Star Bank
- John Hancock Life Insurance Company
- JPMorgan Chase
- Midwest Bank
- Stark Investments
- Wells Fargo
For more information on how we can help with your real estate financing needs, please contact Diane M. Haller at (602) 229-5625 or