Richard (Rick) Young practices in the Firm’s Intellectual Property group. He litigates patent, trademark and copyright actions in federal trial and appellate courts around the country. He also counsels clients on the broader implications and opportunities of intellectual property for their business and for strengthening the competitiveness of their brands and their products. Rick represents companies in a broad range of industries, including advertising, publishing and manufacturing. He assists clients in the acquisition, protection and exploitation of their intellectual property around the world. His recent experience includes:
- Lead counsel in a successful three week patent jury trial in the Central District of California between global competitors in inspection system technology.
- Representing Kos Pharmaceuticals, a publicly traded drug company, successfully enforced client’s well known trademark ADVICOR against infringement by Andrx’s ALTOCOR mark; won landmark victory on appeal, with the U.S. Court of Appeals directing the trial court to issue preliminary injunction on an expedited basis. Andrx was forced to settle, to change the name of its drug, to recall the infringing drug, and to pay our client $6 million. Kos Pharmaceuticals v. Andrx Corp., 369 F.3d 700.
- Structured and implemented strategy for significant U.S. tax savings through off-shore ownership of multi-national consumer product company’s intellectual property.
- Negotiated celebrity brand licenses for major U.S. home furnishings manufacturer.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University School of Law (J.D., 1981)
Indiana Law Journal (Executive Editor, 1980-1981).
- Yale University (B.S., 1978)
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
U.S. District Court, Trial Bar, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2007-present: Trademark Law).
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2013 Illinois Super Lawyers® lists (Intellectual Property Litigation).
- Leading Lawyers Network member (Computer and Technology Law and Intellectual Property).
Professional and Civic Activities
- International Trademark Association (Member, Publications Committee).
- Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group (Member).
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member).
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (Member).
- American Bar Association (Member, Litigation and Intellectual Property Sections).
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts (Member).