Robert Rothacker is a partner in the firm's Employee Benefits Law Group. He has had extensive experience representing corporate clients, not-for-profits, church plans, multiemployer plans, and benefit plan administration firms in all aspects of employee benefits, including design, implementation, and administration and termination of retirement plans, executive compensation arrangements, and health and other welfare benefits plans. His recent experience includes
- Defined benefit pension plan mergers, freezes, terminations, and early retirement subsidy reductions as well as defined benefit / defined contribution choice programs.
- Executive compensation plan compliance with IRC § 409A.
- Implementation, amendment, and funding of pension, 403(b), 457(b), and 457(f) plans for churches and other not-for-profit entities.
- Employee benefits issues arising in connection with acquisitions, mergers, and corporate reorganizations.
- Amendment of health and cafeteria plans in response to changes in federal law.
- Providing advice regarding retirement plan investments, including employer stock and real estate.
- Representation of retirement plan sponsors in connection with Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor correction programs.
- Establishment of VEBAs, 401(h) Accounts, and other trusts to fund retiree health benefits.
- Implementation and amendment of Employee Stock Ownership Plans ("ESOPs").
- Multiemployer plan amendment administration and withdrawal issues.
- Church plan matters.
Education and Honors
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1982)
- College of William and Mary (A.B., 1979)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Wisconsin Retirement Plan Professionals (Former President)
- Milwaukee County Library System (Former Board Member).
- Whitefish Bay Library (Former Board Member)
- Riveredge Nature Center (Former Board Member)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2007–present: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Selected for inclusion in the Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Employee Benefits Law)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2008–present: Labor & Employment: Employee Benefits & Compensation)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2016 Milwaukee Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law "Lawyer of the Year"