Robert Messerly is a member of the firm's Real Estate Practice Group, concentrating in the areas of large portfolio acquisition and disposition, equity investments, and real estate finance.
He has represented some of the country's preeminent institutional real estate investors and lenders.
Mr. Messerly's clients invest in all types of commercial property, and his experience mirrors that breadth. He has worked on acquisitions and dispositions in virtually every state in the country, including transactions involving commercial office buildings, industrial buildings, apartment complexes, hotels, and mixed-use buildings. Those transactions have ranged from $1,000,000 to $400,000,000 and have ranged in complexity from straightforward purchase/sale transactions to more complicated transactions involving ground leases and commercial condominiums.
In addition to his experience in equity transactions, Mr. Messerly has experience with various financing transactions. He not only has worked on traditional real estate loans, but has experience working on mezzanine loans, loan restructurings, and foreclosures.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 1987)
- Xavier University (B.A., 1984)
- Major: Political Science
- Selected as an Illinois Leading Lawyer - Leading Lawyers Network, 2017–present (Real Estate: Commercial & Finance)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (Real Estate)
- Listed in America's Leading Lawyers for Business (Real Estate)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® (Real Estate)