Robert L. Gamrath's practice focuses on representing developers, builders, large corporations, and individual business operators in the acquisition, zoning, entitlement, and development of real property. Mr. Gamrath prepares and presents entitlement cases to all levels of government and trial and reviewing courts. He represents lenders and borrowers in loan workouts, acquisition, development and construction loans, and other secured lending. Mr. Gamrath's recent experience includes
- Representation of a major retailer in obtaining an annexation agreement amendment, rezoning, special use permits, and municipal code modifications for the construction of a 200,000-square-foot retail store.
- Representation of a hospice provider in obtaining rezoning, subdivision, and special use permits for the construction of its office headquarters.
- Representation of a global package delivery company in obtaining planned development zoning, street vacations, and tax increment financing and in structuring a land exchange under IRC §1033 as part of a larger community redevelopment project.
- Representation of a hotel/office complex developer in the annexation, zoning, and subdivision of property that contained critical wetlands and threatened and endangered species habitat.
- Representation of a regional developer in obtaining planned unit development approval, annexation, and development variations for a large retail shopping center.
- Representation of a land developer in the annexation, zoning, and subdivision of a 180-acre mixed-use planned unit development that included negotiation of easements, roadway agreements, and a recapture agreement.
- Representation of a developer of a multi-phased residential planned unit development that included negotiation of several easements, a facility planning area map amendment, a recapture agreement, and a flood plain map amendment.
- Representation of a senior housing owner/operator in the development of a 178-unit continuing care retirement community and negotiation of a development agreement with impact fee reductions and waivers.
- Representation of a senior housing owner/operator in obtaining planned development zoning for expansion of an existing continuing care retirement community located in an historical building.
- Representation of an art studio/gallery owner in obtaining variances necessary to redevelop a former manufacturing facility.
- Representation of a developer of a commercial shopping center in obtaining entitlements for its development and in litigation brought by a neighboring municipality.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 company in an Illinois precedent-setting takings litigation.
- Joint representation of a land owner and national developer in obtaining special use, site plan, variance, and subdivision approvals for a mixed-use, multi-hotel project.
- Joint representation of a national developer and movie theater operator in the redevelopment of a regional shopping center that included an 18-screen multiplex movie theater.
- Representation of an industrial developer of a 110-acre industrial park that included special service area financing for subdivision improvements.
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate, 2013)
- Certificate of Executive Management
- John Marshall Law School (J.D., 1994)
- The John Marshall Law Journal (Staff Editor, 1993)
- Indiana University (B.S., 1991)
- Major: Business
- Alpha Tau Omega
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1994
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member: American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Member: International Council of Shopping Centers
- Board Member: Lambda Alpha Ely Chapter (Chicago)
- Member: American Bar Association (Illinois Delegate to Young Lawyers Division Assembly, 2001, 2003; Section of State and Local Governmental Law; Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Assembly, 2004–present; Ad Hoc Committee on Law Students; Strategic Marketing Committee; Young Lawyers Division Council, 1997–2005; Chairman, 2004–2005; Peer Mediation, Children's Assistance Program and Chicago School Partners Subcommittees; Tomorrow's Leaders of the Profession Program, 1999; Moot Court Judge, National Moot Court Regional, 1999; Local Government Law Section; Real Property Section)
- Chicago Bar Association (Real Property Law Committee; Local Government Law Committee)
- Chicago Bar Foundation Young Professionals Board, 2001–present; President, 2004–05
- Illinois Bar Foundation Fellow, 2001–present
- Illinois Law School Consortium Practice Tracks Program, 1998, 2002
- House Captain, Christmas in April National Rebuilding Day Program, 2002
- Greater Chicago Food Depository, Annual Volunteer, 2000–present
- Quarles Cares - School Mentor
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2010–present: Real Estate Law)
- Named one of the Top 100 Lawyers by Illinois Super Lawyers® (2007–2011)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® (2006–present: Real Estate)
- Leading Lawyers Network Member (Real Estate)
- Martindale-Hubbell BV® Peer Review Rated
- Law Bulletin's 2005 "40 Illinois Attorneys under Forty to Watch."