An Arizona native, Roger Ferland is a retired partner with Quarles & Brady. He practiced in the areas of environmental and natural resources law in both the public and private sector since 1975. Mr. Ferland’s experience included:
- Representing a statewide business coalition of trade associations and companies in negotiations that led to the Arizona Comprehensive Air Quality Act.
- Advising an Arizona Indian tribe in the development of the nation’s first comprehensive Tribal Implementation Plan under the Federal Clean Air Act as well as wastewater, pesticide, waste management and water quality regulatory programs for that tribe as well as other tribes.
- Chairing or co-chairing two gubernatorial air quality task forces that made recommendations to the State Legislature that resulted in a series of significant laws dealing with air pollution in the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan areas.
- Advising the then fastest growing county in the nation on air quality issues including a complete rewrite of the county’s air quality regulations and permitting program.
- Representing a steel manufacturer, a nonferrous smelter and a utility company in obtaining all of the environmental permits, licenses and approvals necessary to construct, expand and operate their facilities.
- Defending a high technology company, aerospace manufacturer, furniture manufacturer, chemical distributor, waste management company, power plant and mining companies in civil enforcement actions involving a variety of environmental laws.
- Representing clients as responsible parties at state and federal superfund sites throughout the western United States.
- Representing power plants, property owners, developers, and other business entities in power plant and transmission line siting cases before the Arizona Corporation Commission.
- Representing developers in sophisticated Brownfield acquisitions and development.
Education and Honors
- Duke University (J.D., with distinction, 1974)
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Arizona (Chair, Military Legal Assistance Committee)
- Former Chair and Co-chair, Governor's Air Quality Strategies Task Forces (Appointed by Governor's Symington and Hull)
- Roger has served as a member of a number of both formal and informal legislative ad hoc committees on environmental issues
- He was an adjunct professor for environmental law at Arizona State University College of Law
- Serves on various civic, arts and charitable organizations including former Chair of the Board of Arizona Audubon and current Co-chair of Audubon's Science & Public Policy Committee
- Member, U.S. VETS Phoenix Advisory Board
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2014 Phoenix Litigation - Environmental "Lawyer of the Year."
- Received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from Lewis & Clark College for 2013
- Selected for inclusion in the 2011-2013 Southwest Super Lawyers® lists (Environmental)
- Named a "Green Pioneer" by the Phoenix Business Journal (2010)
- Listed in The International Who's Who of Environmental Lawyers (2010)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (with Chambers' highest "Star" ranking), Arizona Environmental Lawyers including Water Rights
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1995-present: Environmental Law / Litigation - Environmental); named the Best Lawyers' 2010 Phoenix Environmental Lawyer of the Year
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (5.0 out of 5)
- First Recipient, Michael J. Brophy Distinguished Service Award presented by the State Bar of Arizona Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section (2008)
- Founding Fellow, American College of Environmental Lawyers and its only Arizona member
- Listed in the Arizona Business Journal's "Best of the Bar" and "Who's Who in Arizona Business."
- Lawdragon 3000 (country's top 3000 lawyers in all specialties)