S.L. Owens is a full-service attorney in the Franchise & Distribution industry team. Accordingly, she is uniquely positioned to deploy litigation and transactional skills. Dual training in business transactions and litigation enables S.L. to thoroughly spot issues and efficiently resolve matters. In turn, she assists clients in reaching their business and legal goals.
S.L. advises a wide range of clients engaged in Franchise & Distribution, such as, entrepreneurs, franchise entities, manufacturers, specialty retailers, sales representatives, distributors, internet companies and online marketplaces.
Her recent transactional experience in Franchise & Distribution law includes:
- Drafting and negotiating franchise agreements, development agreements, business contracts, and asset purchase agreements.
- Drafting business documents related to forming new business entities and launching new franchise and distribution systems, drafting disclosure documents, advising clients on facilitating growth strategies, and advising clients in selling and purchasing assets.
And, S.L.’s recent litigation experience in Franchise & Distribution law includes:
- Resolving disputes arising under state and federal franchise law, relationship law, and dealership law.
- Resolving disputes related to breach of contract, distribution agreements, unfair competition, breach of warranty, fraud and business torts, as well as resolving disputes related to reclaiming assets.
Prior to joining Quarles & Brady, S.L. was a U.S. Fulbright Scholar representing the State of Illinois in South Africa. Besides South Africa, she has conducted development projects in Egypt and Ethiopia.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin School of Business (Entrepreneurship Certificate, 2014)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2014)
- Wisconsin Law Review
- Wisconsin Moot Court Board
- University of KwaZulu Natal in South Africa (2010)
- United States Fulbright Scholar
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., with honors, 2008)
- Major: African American Studies
- Posse Scholar
- The American University in Cairo (2007)
- Study Abroad: Gilman Scholar
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin