Scott McIntosh, Washington, D.C. office chair of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group, is a franchise law attorney possessing significant experience dealing with the most complex cases among the business, litigation, and regulatory issues that confront franchising companies. He certainly and routinely helps to resolve common, discrete disputes between franchisors and franchisees, but when issues rise to the level of class actions, multiparty disputes, and matters spanning litigation and binding arbitration at the same time, Scott is an invaluable resource. He manages all the logistics, maintains consistency across all the actions pertaining to the matter, and retains control of the costs while pursuing the best possible outcomes for his clients.
Scott also counsels clients on franchise relations, terminations, transfers, and regulatory compliance. He advises clients on changes and updates to their systems, transitioning to new forms of franchise agreements, and enforcement of system standards. Scott has assisted clients with the preparation of various transactional documents to evolve and strengthen their systems.
Scott’s litigation and dispute resolution practice encompasses complex commercial litigation of non-franchise disputes, including putative class actions, throughout the mid-Atlantic states and the District of Columbia.
Scott also has extensive experience with alternative forms of dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation, as well as handling collateral court proceedings that often accompany arbitration proceedings.
Scott deeply values long-term, comprehensive relationships with his clients, which last for the life of their businesses. He can provide the greatest value to them by participating in their day-to-day and year-to-year operations, understanding and adding to the texture of their businesses and enhancing the decision-making processes that underlie informed judgments and lead to positive results. In this way, he minimizes legal costs and actions alike, more often applying an ongoing light touch to help steer the ship while being prepared to apply a heavy hand to correct its course when necessary.
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- Georgetown International Environmental Law Journal (Articles Editor)
- Legal Research & Writing Program (Law Fellow)
- Georgetown University (M.S., 1998)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., magna cum laude, 1993)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- ABA Forum on Franchising, Publications Committee
- International Franchise Association Legal Legislative Committee
- Selected for Chambers USA® (2017–present: Franchising)
- Named to The International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers by Who’s Who Legal (2013–present)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009–present: Franchise Law)
- Profiled as one of the up-and-coming attorneys in the franchise bar by Franchise Times magazine, June/July 2001
- Selected for inclusion in the 2013–2017 Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers® lists (Franchise/Dealership)
- Certified Franchise Executive by the Institute of Certified Franchise Executives (2012)