Stan Orszula is a member of the firm’s Corporate Services Practice Group. He focuses his practice on financial institutions and banking with an emphasis on failed bank receiverships, regulatory issues, secured lending, loan workouts and the acquisition and disposition of loans and other assets.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as a Counsel for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. He also speaks and writes on various financial institution topics and his experience includes:
- Representing failed bank receiverships and assuming banks in connection with the disposition of failed bank assets in securitizations, structured sales and other FDIC-assisted transactions involving Purchase and Assumption Agreements with loss-share components.
- Representing financial institutions in negotiating and restructuring troubled loans.
- Liquidating numerous distressed assets on behalf of secured lenders and receivers in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, Article 9 sales, commercial mortgage foreclosures, assignments for the benefit of creditors and other out-of-court restructurings.
- Structuring, negotiating and documenting middle market commercial loan transactions for various financial institutions.
- Representing FDIC as Receiver in a successful defense of $80 million lender liability suit arising out of a $190 million credit facility.
Education and Honors
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- Boston College (B.A., 1995)
Law Society of England and Wales,
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2001
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 2004
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2001
U.S. Department of Defense, Trial Judiciary, 1998
Selected for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers
–Rising Stars 2009-2010 Editions (Bankruptcy). Awarded the FDIC STAR Award (2010 and 2011). Awarded the Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal and selected as Junior Officer of the Quarter for the Pacific Northwest (1999).
Professional and Civic Activities
Chicago Bar Association (Young Lawyer Section, Bankruptcy Committee Co-Chair, 2002-2004; Director, 2004-2006; Secretary, 2006-2007; Senior Director, 2007-2008).
Turnaround Management Association (Chicago/Midwest Chapter, Co-Leader, Future Leaders’ Committee, 2006-2007; Parliamentarian, 2007-2008). National Eagle Scout Association (Chicago Chapter, 2010-present).