Steven Hirsch is an attorney in the firm's Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group, where his practice focuses on general business, utility, and commercial litigation. He is currently Second Vice President of the State Bar of Arizona.
Mr. Hirsch has handled several jury trials, including contract and lease disputes, eminent domain, land use regulation, valuation of real estate, and other government takings of undeveloped and improved land, income-producing properties, utility property, and certificated areas and water rights. Mr. Hirsch also has brought actions against governmental agencies arising out of zoning, permitting, and similar land use disputes. He also has experience in recovering federal and state relocation benefits. Mr. Hirsch represents developers and utilities in public utility commission matters, including rate proceedings, cases involving issuance and modifications of certificates of convenience and necessity to serve, and transmission line siting hearings.
Mr. Hirsch has experience in construction law matters, including the resolution of mechanics' and materialmen’s lien disputes, public and private contract disputes, alternative dispute resolution mechanisms in construction contracts, and negotiating the terms of owners’, general contractors’, subcontractors’ and suppliers’ agreements and purchase orders. He has represented lenders in a variety of litigation matters, including defending various tort claims, prosecuting judicial mortgage foreclosures, lien foreclosures, deficiency actions, and receiverships. He is certified as a real estate specialist by the State Bar of Arizona.
Education and Honors
- The University of Arizona (J.D., with high distinction, 1980)
- The University of Arizona (B.A., with distinction, 1977)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Arizona/Arizona Bar Foundation: Second Vice President, State Bar of Arizona, 2015 - present; Secretary/Treasurer, State Bar of Arizona, 2015 - 2016; Governor, State Bar, 2014 - present; President, Arizona Bar Foundation, 1995; Director, Arizona Bar Foundation, 1989 – 1997; President, Construction Law Section, State Bar of Arizona, 2003 – 2004; Director, Construction Law Section, State Bar of Arizona, 2000 – 2005; Co-Chair, Multi-Jurisdictional Practice Task Force, 2001 – 2004; Member, State Bar of Arizona, Young Lawyers Executive Council, 1987 – 1988; Certified Real Estate Specialist, State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, 1995 – present.
- American Bar Association: Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, 2002 – present; Member, National Conference of Bar Foundations (Program Committee, 1994-95), 1993 – 1996; District 23 Representative, YLD Executive Council, 1990 – 1992; Liaison Member, ABA Standing Committee on Professionalism, 1992 – 1993; Chair, Scottsdale AOP Host Committee, 1990 – 1991; Member, Affiliate Outreach Project Team, National Conferences Committee, 1988 – 1990; Co-Chair, Western Regional Caucus, 1988 – 1989
- Maricopa County Bar Association: Co-Chair, Centennial Celebration Committee, 2013 – 2014; Member, Mills Member of the Year Award Committee, 2011 – present; Member, Professional Development Committee, 1998 – 2001; MCBA Barristers Ball Committee, 1991 – 1994 (Chair, 1993 Silent Auction); Chairman, MCBA Second Annual Convention, 1989 – 1990; Chairman, MCBA First Annual Convention, 1988 – 1989; President, MCBA Young Lawyers Division, September 1987 – September 1988; Member, MCBA Young Lawyers Division Board of Directors, 1983 – 1989; Member, MCBA Board of Directors, 1987 – 1988
- University of Arizona Law College Association: President, 1999 – 2000; Member, Board of Directors, 1994 – 2014
- Morris Institute For Justice: Founder; President, 1998-2000; Director, 1996-2002
- Arizona Commission For Access to Justice: 2015 - present
- American College of Trial Lawyers (Fellow)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2007–present: Litigation)
- Listed in Southwest Super Lawyers® (2007 – present)
- Named Best Lawyers Lawyer® of the Year (2011: Phoenix Eminent Domain and Condemnation)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2008-present: Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law)
- Listed in Arizona Business Magazine "Best of Arizona Business (2009: Commercial Litigation, Construction, and Real Estate)
- Listed as an Arizona Business Magazine "Top Lawyer" (2008-2009: Construction & Real Estate; 2008-2011: Commercial Litigation)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rated
- Arizona Court of Appeals (Judge Pro Tempore, 1994-2002)
- Boy Scouts of America (Grand Canyon Council Board of Directors, 2014 - present; Scoutmaster, Troop 401, Church of the Beatitudes, 2001-2003; Silver Beaver Award, 2007; Camelback District Award of Merit, 2005)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member of the Year, 1989)
- State Bar of Arizona (Co-Recipient, Member of the Year Award, 2003)
- State Bar of Arizona (Arizona Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, 1987)
- University of Arizona Law College Association (Recipient, Sidney S. Woods Alumni Service Award, 2003)
- University of Arizona Law College Association (Recipient, Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2000)
- Wildlife For Tomorrow Foundation (President, 2004-present; Director, 2000-present)