Steven J. Berryman handles business litigation in trial and appellate courts and arbitration forums all over the country. He is the National Chair of the firm's Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition Team. He also chairs the forty-member Milwaukee Commercial Litigation Group. His primary focus includes the prosecution and defense of claims involving unfair competition, trade secrets, supply chain, distribution, breach of contract, and antitrust. Mr. Berryman's representative matters include:
Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Requiring a competitor of our Fortune 100 manufacturer client to redesign its product line, based on engineering designs reviewed and approved by our client, and following discovery in trade secret and copyright infringement litigation.
- Filing trade secret and Lanham Act litigation on behalf of a toy manufacturer and ultimately requiring competitor to alter competing product designs, notify customers, and modify advertising materials and website.
- Partnering with the FBI and United States in presenting claims involving the theft of key company trade secrets and intellectual property.
- On several occasions, successfully retrieving and stopping the proliferation and use of company trade secrets taken by former employees to new places of employment.
Distribution and Supply Chain
- Winning an arbitration against a distributor of our software developer client who alleged entitlement to hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid commissions pursuant to a contract between the parties.
- Arguing before the Wisconsin Supreme Court regarding whether Wisconsin should adopt the United States Supreme Court's decision in Brooke Group v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Group, 509 U.S. 209 (1993), which established the requirements for proving a predatory pricing antitrust claim; whether the stringent standard governing the admissibility of expert testimony set forth in Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharm., Inc., 509 U.S. 579 (1993), affects the applicability of Brooke Group to Wisconsin law; and whether Wisconsin should adopt the concept of federal disaggregation of damages.
- Successfully resolving claims against our Fortune 100 client asserting a group boycott and restraint of trade in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act; following 50 depositions and significant economic expert work, we wrote the summary judgment brief resulting in a settlement for less than the cost of defense.
- Winning an arbitration against a former CEO of our high-tech manufacturing client who alleged entitlement to significant proceeds based on an earn-out provision.
- Convincing a federal District Court to overturn a $32 million default entered (prior to the firm's retention) against a product manufacturer client, following a week-long, multiparty mediation failing to result in settlement.
- Defending a Fortune 100 diversified manufacturer in business litigation, including antitrust, product distribution, contract, and trade secret litigation pending in several state and federal courts.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Franchise & Distribution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Trade Secrets
- Business Law
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 1995)
- Northwestern University Journal of International Law and Business (Note and Comment Editor)
- University of Nebraska (B.A., 1991)
- Triple major in Philosophy, English, and Political Science
Professional and Civic Activities
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Judge John L. Coffey, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1998–1999
- Law Intern to the Honorable Chief Judge Richard Sievers, Nebraska Court of Appeals, 1993
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member, Appellate Practice, Litigation and Antitrust Litigation Sections)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member, Eastern District)
- Named a 2015 Wisconsin Future Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Star 2007 & 2008 Editions (Business Litigation)
- Nominee, Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, 2009
- Selected by Benchmark Litigation, "Future Star," 2009
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2010