Susan Boswell has a national bankruptcy and business reorganization practice. In more than 30 years of bankruptcy practice, she has become familiar with all kinds of industries, including healthcare, hotels, transportation (including airlines), retail, numerous types of manufacturing, e-commerce, financial institutions, asset-based lending (both accounts and equipment), equipment leasing and finance, agribusiness, and real estate. She has expertise in representing creditors and debtors in the various industries listed. She also has expertise in reorganizing nonprofit entities, with an emphasis on religious entities. Ms. Boswell has full-practice licenses in Arizona and Nevada; she has been granted limited admission to practice in cases in many other jurisdictions throughout the United States. Given the current economy, a significant emphasis of Ms. Boswell's practice in the last several years has involved real estate restructurings, state court enforcement proceedings, and bankruptcy in various jurisdictions. In addition, Ms. Boswell's experience includes
- Representation of investors in a large master-planned community in North Las Vegas, Nevada in prepackaged bankruptcy, which resulted in successful reorganization of the owner and restructuring of over $200 million in debt in complex participated transaction with multiple levels of debt.
- Representation of various lenders in complex real estate loans in Nevada, Arizona, and various other jurisdictions, involving participated and syndicated loans, among other types.
- Representation of the second Roman Catholic Diocese to file a Chapter 11, and confirmation of a plan of reorganization and occurrence of the effective date one year from filing date.
- Representation of one of the nation's largest equipment leasing and finance companies in cases throughout the United States, including cases involving high-tech manufacturing, transportation (including shipping), and tool manufacturing and franchise-related loans in the restaurant and hospitality industries.
- Representation of one of the nation's largest convenience store owners and operators in bankruptcy of prior purchaser of numerous fee-owned and leased store locations.
- Representation of debtor engaged in business of manufacturing and selling major name consumer and industrial tools and equipment with facilities in the United States, Europe, and Mexico.
- Representation of acquirers in bankruptcy reorganizations of real estate projects, retailers, and manufacturing (among other industries).
- Representation of parties in prosecuting or defending litigation in or related to bankruptcy cases, including creditor's claims and preference claims.
- Related practice areas Commercial Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Creditors' Rights, fraudulent transfer claims, declaratory judgment claims, contract-related business litigation, business tort litigation, and non-dischargeability litigation.
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona–James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., 1976)
- Named Outstanding Graduate as an alumni
- University of Arizona (B.A., 1972)
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1977
Professional and Civic Activities
- Pima County Bar Association (Member)
- Clark County Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Former Chair, Law Practice Management Section)
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- State Bar of Nevada (Member)
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association (Member)
- International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (Member)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Member)
- Selected for second term to serve on Ninth Circuit Court Council of American College of Bankruptcy, with responsibility to screen and recommend nominees from Ninth Circuit for selection as fellows to the American College of Bankruptcy
- Member of first class of DirectWomen
- Requested to serve as Master in first Arizona Bankruptcy Inns of Court (2011)
- Carondelet Foundation (Former Chair)
- Tucson Airport Authority (Former Chair and Member)
- University of Arizona College of Law (Member, Board of Visitors)
- Carondelet Health Network and Tucson Heart Hospital (Former Chair of the Board)
- Held numerous leadership and other positions within the professional and community organizations in which she has volunteered or been selected for participation
- Selected as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine (2016)
- Named a 2016 Arizona Business Leader – Bankruptcy Reorganization Law by AZ Big Media
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2016 Tucson Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona list by AZ Business Magazine (2015)
- Named a 2014 Arizona Business Leader by AZ Big Media
- Selected for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers® lists: Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights (2007–2014); Bankruptcy: Business (2015–2016) and named among the Top 50 lawyers in Arizona and the Top 25 of Female lawyers in Arizona
- Listed in Arizona’s Top Lawyers list by AZ Business Magazine (2014: Bankruptcy/Reorganization)
- Received the Professional Achievement Award from the Law College Association of the University of Arizona (2012)
- Selected as Fellow at American College of Bankruptcy in the Seventh Class
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2013 Tucson Litigation – Bankruptcy Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2012 Tucson Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (selected every year from 1987–present: Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law / Litigation – Bankruptcy)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated