300 N. LaSalle Street
Theodore I. Yi concentrates his practice in the area of real estate law. His extensive and varied real estate experience includes a wide range of commercial real estate transactions, with a particular focus on commercial lease transactions representing both owners and users of office, retail and industrial properties. Mr. Yi represents institutional landlords, such as insurance companies, pension funds and REITs, as well as users of properties, including users of technically complex space such as trading floors and data centers. In particular, he has represented a number of Fortune 250 corporations in connection with relocations of their corporate headquarters. Mr. Yi is co-managing partner of the Firm’s Chicago office and serves as a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Education and Honors
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1982)
Harvard Environmental Law Review (Editor).
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.A. and B.S., Phi Beta Kappa, 1979)
Named one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Illinois by Super Lawyers®
Listed in Chambers USA®
(2011-2012: Real Estate).
Named a 2011 Business Leader of Color by Chicago United.
Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2013 Illinois Super Lawyers®
lists (Real Estate).
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
Peer Review Rated.
Selected for inclusion in Chicago’s Top Rated Lawyers (2013).
Professional and Civic Activities
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (Fellow).
- Lambda Alpha International (Member, Ely Chapter).
- Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary (Board Member).
- Asian American Bar Association of Greater Chicago (Member, Former Officer & Board Member).
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (Member, Former Officer & Board Member.)
- Chicago Committee on Minorities in Large Law Firms (Former Board Member).
- Cook County State’s Attorney’s Asian American Advisory (Council Member).
- Harvard Law Society of Illinois (Former President).
- The John Marshall Law School, Real Estate Law LL.M. Program (Former Adjunct Professor).
- Presenter, “The Game of Musical Chairs: Co-Tenancy and its Intricacies,” International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference, October 24-27, 2012.
- Moderator, “Chicago State of Office,” Chicago, Illinois, April 24, 2012.
- Co-chair, Practicing Law Institute programs: 13th Annual Commercial Real Estate Institute, October 31 - November 1, 2011.
- Presenter, “Commercial Real Estate Leases: Selected Issues in Drafting and Negotiating in a Distressed and Troubled Market,” ALI-ABA Seminar, Philadelphia, PA, 2010.
- Panelist, “Commercial Lease Overview and How to ‘Green’ Your Leases,” Practising Law Institute, Chicago, Illinois, 2009.
- ALI-ABA Webcast Seminar, “Negotiating and Drafting Leases that Meet the ‘Green’ Expectations of Landlord and Tenant Clients,” 2009.
- Panelist, ALI-ABA Commercial Real Estate Leases, Chicago, Illinois, 2009.
- Panel Moderator, “Managing Legal Costs in an Economic Downturn,” Lateral Link, Chicago, Illinois, 2009.
- Lecturer, “Commercial Leasing,” ABA Real Estate Law Educational Program, Chicago, Illinois, 2009.
- ALI-ABA Webcast Seminar, “Space and Term Issues in Commercial Leases (with Sample Clauses),” 2007.
- Panelist, “The Dance of Negotiation,” Law Seminars International, Chicago, Illinois, Advanced Commercial Real Estate Leases Conference, September 2006.
- Panelist, ALI-ABA Commercial Real Estate Leases, Boston, Massachusetts, 2006.
- Panelist, “Hot Trends in Real Estate,” NAPABA Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, 2005.
- Panelist, ALI-ABA Commercial Real Estate Leases, Chicago, Illinois, 2005.
- Panelist, “Negotiating Commercial Leases,” Practising Law Institute, Chicago, Illinois, 2004.
- Presenter, “What if You Can’t Get There?: Impact of Anti-Terrorism Measures on Lease Expectations,” ACREL Fall Meeting, Denver, Colorado, 2004.
- Panelist, “Leases and Bankruptcy,” ACREL Spring Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 2004.
- Speaker, “Easements,” ABA Minority Outreach Program, 2003.
- “Painful Provisions in a Tenant’s Market,” Broker Continuing Education Program sponsored by University of Illinois Chicago Professional Development Office and Equity Office Properties, 2002.
- “Laterals versus Entry-Levels: Competition, Competitors and the Strategic Push-Pull,” National Association of Legal Placement 2002 Annual Education Conference, Kansas City, 2002.
- “Commercial and Industrial Leasing,” Commercial Real Estate Certificate Program, DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois, 2002.
- “Practicing Corporate Law,” 8th National Asian Pacific American Conference on Law and Policy, sponsored by Harvard Law School Asian Pacific American Law Students Association, Cambridge, MA, 2002.
- “Space and Term Issues in Commercial Lease (with Sample Clauses),” The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, Vol. 23, No. 2, March 2007.
- “Options,” Lease Negotiation Handbook (Chapter 3), ALI-ABA 2003.
- “Pre-Construction Leasing,” Commercial Landlord-Tenant Practice 2002 (Chapter 4), Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
- “Commercial Construction Projects,” Construction Project Form Book (Chapter 3), Wiley Law Publications, 1994.
- Statutes Affecting Commercial Real Estate Leases: A National Guide (Illinois statutes chapter).