Tom Phillips focuses his practice in the area of taxation providing tax analysis, advice and tax opinions to publicly held and closely held business entities. His more than 38 years of experience include representation of clients in and structuring tax-free reorganizations and mergers, spinoffs, cross border transactions, taxable asset and stock purchase transactions, partnership transactions, and private placement investments in limited partnerships and limited liability companies involving hedge funds, distressed company investments, commercial real estate, value company investments and low income housing tax credit projects. Mr. Phillips also has extensive experience in tax controversy matters representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service, Wisconsin Department of Revenue, and federal and state courts.
Education and Honors
- New York University School of Law (LL.M., Taxation, 1974)
- University of Utah College of Law (J.D., 1973)
Order of the Coif.
- University of Minnesota (B.A., 1970)
U.S. Claims Court, 1974
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1974
U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1974
U.S. Tax Court, 1974
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
(2003-present: Litigation & Controversy - Tax / Tax Law), Wisconsin’s Top Rated Lawyers (Taxation), Wisconsin’s Best Lawyers (Tax Law) and Martindale-Hubbell AV®
Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated.
Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Tax Section, Member Board of Directors; Business Section; District Representative, Board of Governors) (Member).
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member).
- American Bar Association Tax Section, Corporate Tax Committee, S Corporation Committee, Partnerships and LLC Committee, Section CLE Committee and Business Law Section (Member).
- Milwaukee Tax Club (Member).
- Professional Institute of Tax Study, Inc. (Member).
- Columbia College of Nursing (Trustee).