Valerie Vidal is a partner in the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Group and a member of the firm’s Financial Services Industry Team. She represents corporate clients in a variety of contractual and business disputes involving breach of contract, misrepresentation, and other tort-based claims. She has significant electronic discovery experience and has advised clients on e-discovery efficiencies. She also frequently assists clients in responding to third-party subpoena requests.
Valerie regularly represents financial institutions in matters regarding commercial loan enforcement. She has also defended financial institutions against claims based upon the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act as well as other lender liability and consumer fraud claims.
Valerie has been recognized for her pro bono work as well as her community service. She regularly represents victims of domestic violence in the pursuit of injunctions against their abusers and is the firm’s point person for a national initiative assisting non-violent drug offenders with petitions for sentencing reductions. She currently serves on the board of directors for two local non-profit organizations focused on helping women overcome addition and escape domestic violence. She is a mentor with the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee and has been matched with her “little sister” for over eight years.
Valerie has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by the Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine for the past four years and is a named member of the Wisconsin Pro Bono Honor Society.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2007)
- University of Wisconsin Moot Court Board (2005–2007)
- Ray & Ethel Brown Award for character, leadership, and service to the University of Wisconsin Law School (2006)
- Wisconsin International Law Journal (Note and Comment Editor, 2006–2007)
- University of Wisconsin Law School Latina/o Law Student Association (Vice President of Academic Affairs, 2005–2006)
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (B.A., 2003)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar), 2010
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2016 Fellow
- Meta House, Inc. (Board Member, 2014–present)
- Centro Legal (Board Member, 2011–present)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member; former Wisconsin Chair for Programs Committee)
- Wisconsin Hispanic Lawyers Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Hispanic Professionals of Greater Milwaukee (Member)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee, Inc. (Volunteer)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2013, 2014)
- Named a "Rising Star" in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® in 2012, 2013, 2014 Editions
- United Way of Greater Milwaukee, Philanthropic 5 Award (2012)
- Outstanding Pro Bono Participation from Legal Action of Wisconsin’s Volunteer Lawyers Project (2012)
- Named a “Match of the Year” by Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee (2011)