411 East Wisconsin Avenue
Walt Skipper practices business law and helps resolve business disputes for businesses of all sizes. He has experience in numerous business matters from formation, financing, securities issuances, expansion of a business through acquisition or merger, sale of business, going public, spin-offs, recapitalizations and reorganizations, and going private. Mr. Skipper also assists with corporate governance and compliance planning. His recent experience includes:
- Representing numerous public and private corporations in daily affairs and compliance with wide range of legal requirements and strategic events.
- Representing a newly formed company simultaneously purchasing companies across the globe in a roll-up through the issuance of stock, cash and notes. Assisted with later expansion and strategic alternatives, including a number of financings, acquisitions and sale of a control stake.
- Counseling and closing business acquisitions and divestitures.
- Representing issuers and underwriters issuing billions in securities.
- Representing parties in SEC and state enforcement investigations.
- Representing board and addressing corporate governance matters.
- Assisting clients in resolving litigation claims and business disputes.
- Representing oppressed minority shareholders and effecting squeeze-out transactions for majority shareholders.
- Representing business in succession planning and strategic alternatives.
- Representing defrauded shareholders and investors in recovering lost investment from responsible parties.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1990)
Order of the Coif. Wisconsin Law Review.
- Marquette University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1985)
Alpha Sigma Nu. Beta Gamma Sigma.
Named “2011 Leader in the Law
” by the Wisconsin Law Journal.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
(2008-present: Corporate Law).
Listed in Who’s Who In America
Peer Review Rated.
Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2012 Wisconsin Super Lawyers®
lists (Mergers & Acquisitions).
Listed in Chambers USA®
Professional and Civic Activities
- Milwaukee Institute, Inc. (Director, Secretary and Treasurer, 2007-present).
- American Bar Association (Member).
- Seminar for Securities Law Practitioner (Chairman, 2006).
- Corporate Practice (Committee Member, 2002-present); Industry Consolidation and Roll-ups (2002-present); Venture Capital and Private Equity (2002-present).
- Wisconsin State Bar Securities Law Committee (2002-present).
- Review of Chapter 180 (Chairman, State Bar Business Law Section Committee, 2004-2006).
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Secretary and Treasurer, Business Law Section, 2002-2004).
- Wisconsin State Bar (Director, Business Law Section, 1999-2002, 2013).
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member).
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants (Member).
- Wisconsin State Bar Convention (Chairman, Business Section; Co-chair, Seminar on “Planning for Business Growth and Succession.”)
- Business Law Training (Coordinator, 1999-2004).
- State Bar of Maryland and Wisconsin (Member).
- Corporate Services Group Associate Training Program (Member).
- Certified Public Accountant and Certified Management Accountant.
- Mason Wells Buyout Fund I, LP and Mason Wells Biomedical Fund I, LP (Member of Advisory Board).
- Marquette University High School (Finance Committee, 2012-present).
- Presenter, “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Client Conference, May 2010.
- Presenter, “Making Sense of Securities Law: A Practical Introduction,” December 2007.
- Presenter, “Planning for Business Growth and Successions,” September 2007.
- Presenter, “Annual Securities Law for the Wisconsin Practitioner,” October 2005.
- Co-chair, Wisconsin State Bar Summer Convention, Business Law Section, 2004-2007 .
- Presenter, Annual Wisconsin State Bar Securities Law Update, September 2003.
- Presenter, Business Law Conference, University of Wisconsin Law School, 2003.
- Presenter and co-chair, Business Law Section, Wisconsin State Bar Convention, 2003.
- FOIA Practices, Lorman Educational Services, 2002.
- Presenter, Quarles & Brady Seminar Cross-Species Mergers, 2002.
- Wisconsin State Bar, Securities Law Update.
- Presenter, Securities Litigation Update, 2002.
- Co-author, “Leasing Loopholes,” Professional Roofing, January 2002.
- Author, “Indemnification: A Key Part of Any Transaction,” Wisconsin Law Journal, May 1, 2002.
- Co-chairman, Wisconsin Bar Summer Convention, Business Law Section, 2000 and 2002.
- Chairman, “Update On Corporate Laws,” Wisconsin State Bar Program, March 2001.
- CPI Program, 1999 and 2000.
- Chapter VII, Wisconsin Securities Law Handbook, 1997.
- “21st Annual Securities Law for the Wisconsin Practitioner,” Wisconsin State Bar program, 1997.
- “17th Annual Securities Law for the Wisconsin Practitioner,” Wisconsin State Bar program, 1993.
- “Securities Law,” Wisconsin State Bar Mid-Winter Convention, 1993.