101 East Kennedy Boulevard
William Hamilton is a veteran trial attorney who handles complex business litigation in the areas of software and technology disputes, intellectual property (copyright, trademark, patent and trade secrets law), e-commerce, data security, telecommunications, trade regulation, unfair trade practices, and internal investigations.
Bill Hamilton is the firm’s National E-Discovery Partner. Mr. Hamilton currently teaches Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence as an adjunct professor at the University of Florida’s Levin College of Law. Mr. Hamilton is the Executive Director of the International Center for Automated Research at the University of Florida and the UF Law E-Discovery Project. Mr. Hamilton is also the Dean of Graduate Students at Bryan University and its Electronic Discovery Project Management Certificate program. Mr. Hamilton is a featured speaker and writer on business litigation, electronic discovery and evidence. Mr. Hamilton is also a neutral, arbitrator and mediator for the World Intellectual Property Organization, the International Trademark Association, and the American Arbitration Association.
Education and Honors
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (cum laude, 1983)
- Washington University in St. Louis (M.A., 1974)
- Lehigh University (B.A., cum laude, 1970)
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated.
- Litigation Counsel of America (Fellow).
- The Florida Bar Foundation (Fellow).
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013-present: Litigation - Patent / Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy); 2006-present: Commercial Litigation; 2005-present: Litigation - Intellectual Property Law).
- Selected for inclusion in 2008-2013 Florida Super Lawyers® lists (Business Litigation, Intellectual Property).
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2008-2011: Litigation).
- Named Florida’s Legal Elite™ by Florida Trend magazine (2005-2009).
- Listed in Super Lawyers magazine, Corporate Counsel Edition (March 2009).
- Named Legal Elite by Tampa Bay Business Journal.
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law.
- American College of e-Neutrals (Fellow).
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member, Intellectual Property Section and Litigation Section; Standing Committee on Technology, 2000-2003).
- The Florida Bar (Member, Business Law Certification Committee).
- The Florida Bar Grievance Mediation and Fee Arbitration Program (Arbitrator).
- Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors).
- LexisNexis (Florida Editorial Advisory Board).
- International Trademark Association (Panel Of Neutrals).
- American Arbitration Association (Neutral).
- National Arbitration Forum (Neutral).
- Tampa Bay Inn of Court (Master).
- University of Florida College of Law (Adjunct Professor).
- University of Florida, College of Law (IP Certification, 2000-2005 Advisory Board).
- The Sedona Conference, E-Discovery Working Group (Member).
- Electronic Discovery Reference Model (Member, Electronic Search Committee).
- United Way, Tocqueville Society (Member).
- Bryan University’s E-Discovery Project Management graduate program (Dean).
- “Using Predictive Technologies to Address IG Problems,” ABA E-Discovery and Information Governance Conference, January 30, 2014.
- “Technology Law and Ethics in the Information Age,” Innovate Technology Law Conference, October 18, 2013.
- “Avoiding Three Critical (And Maybe Fatal) E-Discovery Missteps,” Federal Bar Association Tampa Bay Chapter 2013 Civil Practice Seminar, October 11, 2013.
- “Know Your Information: How to Effectively Protect Your Trade Secrets and Detect Trade Secret Theft,” Quarles & Brady Seminar, September 26, 2013.
- “Are You Over Collecting (and Over Spending) in E-Discovery?” exterro, August 8, 2013.
- “Ten Things Florida Lawyers Must Know About E-Discovery,” Florida Bar Meeting, June 26, 2013.
- “Don’t Get Left Behind – eDiscovery is for Everyone,” Nuix Apersee Webinar, May 28, 2013.
- “Aligning Ethical Interests in the Discovery Triangle: Clients, Law Firms & Providers,” Carmel Valley eDiscovery Retreat, May 1-2, 2013.
- “The New Search Revolution: Return to the Future?” Florida Gulf Coast ARMA Chapter Monthly Meeting & RIM Event Luncheon, March 19, 2013.
- “Electronic Discovery in Florida State Court: Navigating New Rules for New Issues,” The Florida Bar, July 24, 2012.
- “Cloud Computing and The E-Discovery Adjuncts and Professors Group,” ESIBytes.com, May 1, 2012.
- “Emerging Ethical Issues in E-Discovery,” Collier County Florida Bar Association, January 27, 2012.
- “Evidence in the Electronic Age,” presented at 2011 Annual Education Program, Florida Conference of Circuit Judges, with Ralph Artigliere, August 16, 2011.
- “Litigating in a Digital World: E-Discovery for Every Florida Lawyer,” Florida Bar Annual Meeting, June 25, 2011.
- “Mobile Employees in the Digital Age: A Threat to Company Secrets and Fair Competition,” 2010 Annual Ethics Seminar, November 12, 2010.
- “The Pre-Litigation Data Preservation Dilemma: Managing the Threat of the Post-Hoc Judicial Review,” Quarles & Brady Business Law Training, November 11, 2010.
- “Electronic Disclosure Management in Arbitration,” American Arbitration Association/International Center for Dispute Resolution Conference, Faculty, November 2010.
- “Slaying the E-Discovery Dragon: Applying the ‘Rule of Proportionality’,” Women in E-Discovery Conference, November 2010.
- “Keys to the Digital Fortress — Electronic Discovery,” Florida College of Advanced Judicial Studies, May 26, 2010.
- “E-Discovery Ethics,” The Sedona Conference Voices From the Desert, January 20, 2010.
- “Electronic Discovery in Arbitration: What You Need to Know,” American Arbitration Association University Online Program, January 16, 2010.
- “E-Discovery Houston: Compliance and Control in the Age of Litigation,” Thomson Reuters Conference,
December 2, 2009.
- “The E-Discovery Vortex: Client Confidences and Zealous Advocacy in an Era of Increasing Transparency and Dialogue,” University of Florida Law Centennial Celebration, Gainesville, Florida, April 24-26, 2009.
- “Applying E-Discovery’s Proportionality Doctrine: The Tools and Methods to Fit E-Discovery to Your Case,”
Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, February 2009.
- Participant and Panelist, Symposium on Ethics and Professionalism in the Digital Age, Mercer University
Walter F. George School of Law, October 2008.
- “From ESI to Evidence: How to Translate Data to Admissible Evidence,” Georgia Bar Association Electronic Discovery Seminar, 2008.
- “The Relationship of Competence and Zealous Advocacy for the E-Discovery Practitioner, Ethics and Professionalism in the Digital Age,” Mercer University Law School Symposium, 2008.
- “Electronic Evidence: How to Get It and How to Get It In,” 2008 Federal Civil Seminar, Federal Bar Association Tampa Bay Chapter, 2008.
- “What’s New at WIPO’s Mediation and Arbitration Center,” Hillsborough County Bar Association Intellectual Property Section Seminar, 2008.
- “Data Management to Evidence,” Florida Gulf Coast Chapter of the Association of Records Managers and Administrators Monthly Meeting, 2008.
- “E-Discovery Storm: Tsunami or Safe Sailing?,” Jacksonville Bar Association’s Annual Raymond Ehrlich
- “E-Discovery Readiness,” Seminar, 2007.
- “Electronic Data and the Archeology of Discovery,” BlueCross and BlueShield Association’s 40th Annual Lawyers’ Conference, 2006.
- “Electronic Discovery of Medical Records,” CLE Seminar, 2005,
- “Practical Pointers for Practitioners: Counseling Clients While Proving Your Case,” 3rd National In-House Counsel Conference on Defending and Managing Complex Litigation, 2004.
- “Cross Examination: Tips and Pitfalls,” Hillsborough County Bar Association’s State Court Trial Seminar, 2004.
- “Technology Clients and Ethical Pitfalls – Traps to Avoid,” University of Florida College of Law First Annual Law & Technology Institute, 2002.
- “Advertising Issues in Electronic Commerce and on the Internet,” CLE Seminar, 1999.
- “Internet, Intranets, and Extranets,” University of Florida Conference on Law and Technology, 1997.
- “Trade and Commerce on the Internet,” Florida International University’s Americas Internet Seminar, 1996.
- “Recent Developments in U.S. Intellectual Property Law,” WIPO Caribbean Law Conference, 1995.
- “False Advertising Under The Lanham Act,” The Florida Bar CLE Presentation, 1993.
- Co-author (with the Hon. Ralph Artigliere), LexisNexis Practice Guide: “Florida E-Discovery and Evidence,” 2012.
- General Editor, LexisNexis Practice Guide: “Florida Contract Litigation,” 2012.
- Co-author, “Electronic Evidence,” in Evidence in Florida, LexisNexis, The Florida Bar, Ninth Edition, 2012.
- “Digital WarRoom to Share DWR WorkGroup Ediscovery Software at Ediscovery Conference, 'Letting Data Tell the Winning Litigation Story,'” PRWeb, March 6, 2014.
- Quoted, “Tech Circuit: Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue at ReInvent Law,” Law Technology News, February 11, 2014.
- Author, “How Best to Use the Electronic Evidence Consultant,” ABA Family Law Journal, January 2014.
- Author, “A ‘Thank You’ to Electronic Discovery Adjunct Professors,” Quarles & Brady’s Diversity Blog, October 2013.
- Author, “E-discovery: 7 principles for selecting retained counsel: Demand the best e-discovery skills when you’re retaining litigation counsel,” Inside Counsel magazine, July 16, 2013.
- Author, “E-discovery: E-storytelling delivers happy trial endings,” Inside Counsel magazine, July 2, 2013.
- Quoted, “UF Law dives into data-driven discipline,” UF Law, June 25, 2013.
- Author, “How to avoid six big e-Discovery blunders,” UF Law, June 25, 2013.
- Author, “E-discovery: The unfulfilled last chapter in the story of keyword searching,” Inside Counsel magazine, June 18, 2013.
- Author, “E-discovery: Not as expensive as old habits,” Inside Counsel magazine, June 4, 2013.
- Author, “University of Florida and Catalyst Team Up to Offer Law Students an Innovative, Hands-On Data Analysis and Review Course,” E-Discovery Search Blog, May 8, 2013.
- Author, “E-discovery: Turning the discovery rules upside down,” Inside Counsel magazine, May 7, 2013.
- “Six Big E-Discovery Blunders,” Law Technology News, April 8, 2013.
- “eDiscovery Curricula at US Law Schools,” eDiscovery Journal, December 3, 2012.
- Author, “E-Discovery's ‘Prime Principle’ for the Rule 26(f) Conference,” ABA Litigation Journal, Summer/Fall 2012.
- Author, “Florida Supreme Court Juices Up E-Discovery Requirements,” Quarles & Brady E-Discovery Bytes Blog, July 11, 2012.
- Author, “Get Schooled,” Law Technology News, April 2012.
- Author, “The Elusive Search for the Ideal Search,” ABA Litigation Journal, Winter 2012.
- Author, “Sampling Helps Keep Relevance Relevant,” ABA Litigation Journal, Summer 2011.
- Author, “Electronic Discovery is Upon Us!” Florida Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company, 2011.
- Quoted, “Alumni stress electronically shared information (ESI) essential for litigators,” FlaLaw Online,
April 18, 2011.
- Quoted, “Formal certification now available for e-discovery,” Tampa Bay Business Journal, November 19, 2010.
- Author, “Bill Hamilton’s Seven Deadly Sins of the Rule 26(f) ‘Meet-and-Confer’ Conference,” Association of Certified E-Discovery Specialists, June 7, 2010.
- Co-author (with Wendy Akbar), “E-Discovery in the Age of Facebook, Twitter & the Digital Family,” Family Advocate, Fall 2010.
- Co-author, “Break Out the Books: Teaching E-Discovery,” Law Technology News, January 2009.
- Author, “The E-Discovery Sanctions Cube,” E-Discovery Team Blog, November 29, 2009.
- “The E-Discovery Crisis: An Immediate Challenge to our Nation’s Law Schools,” The E-Discovery Team, November 2008.
- “Book Review - Ralph Losey’s e-Discovery: Current Trends and Cases,” The Federal Lawyer, August 2008.
- “Before You Hit Send: 10 Rules to Help Keep You Out of E-mail Trouble,” July 2008.
- “Battering RAM: Default Judgment Entered in Columbia Pictures v. Bunnell for Defendants’ Spoliation of Evidence,” BNA, Digital Discovery & E-Evidence, February 2008.
- “Electronic Data Discovery and the New Federal Rules: Health Industry Organizations at Particular Risk,” Holland & Knight LLP, July 2007.
- “Electronic Data Discovery and The New Federal Rules: More risks to be addressed by Compliance and Ethics Programs,” The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, June 2007.
- “Electronic Data Discovery and the New Federal Rules: Is There a Safety Net for the Increased Litigation Risk?,” The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 2007.
- “IT System Integration Contracts - Avoiding Statistically Near Certain Failure,” The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, January 2006.
- “Cutting Costs in Discovery: Maybe It's Time Companies Paid for Data by the Gigabyte,” Legal Times, 2004.
- “Inevitability of Inevitable Disclosure Under Florida’s Uniform Trade Secrets Act,” Intellectual Property and Technology newsletter, October 2001.
- “Florida Manual of Trademark Examining Procedure,” The Florida Bar, 1986.