Yonglin Liu has a broad technical background that includes degrees in Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry. After he received his Ph.D., Yonglin worked at the National Institute of Standards and Technology ("NIST") and the National Institute of Health ("NIH") with a National Academy, National Research Council ("NRC") Research Associate fellowship from 2006-2009, and as a guest research chemist from 2009-2011. He was involved in projects over a broad range of technologies, including Materials Science and Engineering, Nanotechnology/Nanomaterials, Nanotoxicity, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Biophysics, Life Science, Biofuels, and Energy (battery, capacitors, etc.).
From 2011-2012, he worked as a patent analyst at a D.C. search firm and as a patent agent at a D.C. law firm. Yonglin has extensive experience and expertise on patent search and analysis in the fields of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering, in addition to the above technical fields. As a registered patent agent, he has drafted S/PCT patent applications in the fields of Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Life Science, Biofuels (biomass, bioethanol, Cellulosic ethanol, cellulases, hemicellulases xylanase, and mannanase, chemical pretreatments, enzyme cocktails, biomass hydrolysis, production process, etc.), Semiconductor (devices, packaging, processing, etc.) and Electrical Engineering.
His experience includes:
- Preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications; drafting new patent applications (Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Life Science, Biofuels, Semiconductor arts, Electrical Engineering arts, etc.); preparing substantive documents related to prosecution, and contributing to prosecution strategy.
- Preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications in the field of biofuels including biomass, bioethanol, Biogas, Cellulosic ethanol, cellulases, hemicellulases xylanase, and mannanase, chemical pretreatments, enzyme cocktails, biomass hydrolysis, enzyme catalysis, production process, etc.
- Providing technical and legal patent-related research and analysis; and conducting literature surveys with various databases.
- Strategically performing patent and scientific literature searches and analysis relating to patentability (novelty), validity, freedom-to-operate and infringement.
- Communicating effectively with customers in determining the scope of searches and drafting informative reports that clarify and summarize search results.
- Providing technical support for patent interference and litigation proceedings; assisting attorneys with the required technical fields in reparation of legal opinions.
- Conducting long-term patent landscape studies to identify trends in a technology field, delivering competitive intelligence and identifying potential research and licensing opportunities.
Education and Honors
- Johns Hopkins University (Ph.D., 2006)
- Degree: Organic Chemistry
- Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (M.S., 2000)
- Degree: Physical Chemistry
- Nankai University (B.S., 1997)
- Degree: Organic Chemistry
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Chemical Society (Member)
- Dr. Liu has published over 13 scientific articles (2 under review) in peer-reviewed journals including:
- Liu, Y.; Evans, A. S.; Toscano, J. P. Nanosecond time-resolved IR study of thiobenzoylnitrene. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2012, 14, 10438-10444
- Liu, Y.*; Hight Walker, A. Preferential Outward Diffusion of Cu during Unconventional Galvanic Replacement Reactions between HAuCl4 and Surface-limited Cu Nanocrystals. ACS Nano., 2011, 5, 6843-6854
- Pease III, L.; Feldblyum, J.; Lacaerda, S.; Liu, Y.; Hight Walker, A.; Anumolu R.; Yim, P.; Clark, M.; Kang, H.; Hwang, J. Structural Analysis of Soft Multicomponent Nanoparticle Clusters. ACS Nano., 2010, 4, 6982
- Liu, Y.*; Hight Walker, A. Monodisperse Gold-Copper Bimetallic Nanocubes: Facile One-Step Synthesis with Controllable Sizes and Compositions. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 6781; Angew. Chem. 2010, 121, 6933
- Liu, Y.*; Hight Walker, A. Facile One-Pot Synthesis of Metal-Semiconductor Hybrid Nanocrystals via Chemical Transformation: The Case of Cu-CuxS Heterodimers and Hetero-oligomers. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2010, 114, 4264
- Desikan, V.; Liu, Y.; Toscano, J. P.; Jenks, W. S. Photochemistry of N-Acetyl-, N-Trifluoroacetyl-, N- Mesyl-, and N-Tosyldibenzothiophene Sulfilimines. J. Org. Chem. 2008, 73, 4398
- Desikan, V.; Liu, Y.; Toscano, J. P.; Jenks, W. S. Photochemistry of Sulfilimine-based Nitrene Precursors: Generation of Both Singlet and Triplet Benzoylnitrene. J. Org. Chem. 2007, 72, 6848
- Wasylenko, W.; Kebede, N.; Sowalter, B.; Matsunaga, N.; Miceli, A.; Liu, Y.; Ryzhkov, L.; Hadad, C.; Toscano, J. Generation and Experimental Confirmation of the Triplet Ground State of Oxynitrenes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 128, 13142
- Cooper, T. M.; Blaudeau, J.; Rogers, J. E.; Mclean, D. G.; Liu, Y.; Toscano, J. P. The triplet state of a platinum acetylide chromophore examined by time-resolved infrared spectroscopy and density functional theory. Chemical Physics Letters 2004, 121, 239
- Pritchina, E. A.; Gritsan, N. P.; Maltsev, A.; Bally, T.; Autrey, T.; Liu, Y.; Wang, Y.; Toscano, J. P. Matrix isolation, time-resolved IR, and computational study of the photochemistry of benzoyl azide. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2003, 5, 1010
- Xu, S.; Liu, Y.; Xie, J.; Sha, G.; Zhang, C. The = 3, 4, and 5 Vibrational Overtones and Conformations of the Hydroxyl Group of Isobutyl Alcohol. Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2001, 105, 6048
- Xu, S.; Liu, Y.; Sha, G.; Zhang, C.; Xie, J. The O-H Stretching = 3, 4, and 5 Vibrational Overtones and Conformational Study of 2-Butanol. Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2000, 104, 8671
- Liu, Y; Xu, S.; Zhang, L.; Xu, Y.; Jiang, B.; Sha, G.; Zhang, C.; Xie, J. Study of O-H Stretching Vibrational Overtones and Molecular Conformations of n-Propanol by CRD Spectroscopy. Chinese Journal of Chemical Physics (Huaxue Wuli Xuebao) 2000, 13, 513