- Represented a public utility in a state regulatory proceeding seeking approval of a multi-billion dollar acquisition of another utility company.
- Advising an Illinois wind farm developer on interconnection issues, power purchase agreements, and state agency contracting requirements.
- Representing a public utility in a special investigation docket initiated and heard by the Illinois Commerce Commission regarding the cost, scope, and schedule of the utility's program to replace its gas mains.
- Defended a natural gas utility in a class action suit, in which plaintiffs claimed that the utility systematically delayed shutting off its meters after customers requested that service be discontinued, and alleged breach of contract, common law fraud, and Illinois Deceptive Trade Practices Act violations. Our utility client moved to dismiss on jurisdictional grounds and the dismissal was granted.
- Drafting and negotiating retail electric and natural gas supply agreements on behalf of suppliers and large commercial and industrial end-use customers.
- Represented a public utility in investigations by, and then settlements with, the Illinois Commerce Commission and the Illinois Attorney General concerning alleged misrepresentations or omissions regarding the estimated long-term cost of the utility's program to replace all of its gas mains.
- Represented a solar energy developer in a regulatory proceeding regarding the structure of the Illinois Power Agency's procurement of $30 million in renewable energy credits (RECs).
- Defended an international gas supplier in litigation and compliance matters related to an independent audit ordered by the Illinois Commerce Commission.
- Advise public utilities on cybersecurity matters, including the development of supply chain policies and best practices, compliance with the North American Electric Reliability Corporation Critical Infrastructure Protection (NERC CIP) standards, and the creation of vendor questionnaires.
- Representing a coalition of energy suppliers in workshops and contested proceedings regarding changes to the Illinois Commerce Commission’s Part 412 rules, which govern supplier contracting and marketing.
- Assisting retail electric and natural gas suppliers in obtaining certificates of service authority from the state-level public utility commissions.
- Working with public utilities and retail electric and natural gas suppliers on reporting and other compliance obligations.
- Assisted an electric and natural gas cooperative in the creation of its customer choice programs.