Amanda Blaising is an attorney in the Firm's Tax-Exempt Organizations Group. She devotes her practice to counseling not-for-profit organizations and their founders on a variety of legal and tax matters. Amanda has significant experience in structuring not-for-profit organizations, obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, drafting complex governing documents and policies, advising on fundraising practices and grant-making, providing guidance on the use of supporting organizations, donor advised funds, and for-profit subsidiaries, and planning for dissolution.
Amanda works closely with private foundations (including both operating and non-operating foundations) and public charities on issues affecting their day-to-day operations. This includes issues such as endowment management, charitable solicitation and fundraising laws, unrelated business taxable income, corporate governance, conflicts of interest, private benefit and private inurement, charitable contribution substantiation, excess business holdings, expenditure responsibility, program-related investments, equivalency determinations, lobbying and political activity, and fiscal sponsorships.
Amanda enjoys providing practical guidance on the broad variety of legal and tax issues tax-exempt organizations encounter during the various stages of their lifecycles.
Education and Honors
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2011)
- Certification in Tax Law
- Loyola Law Journal (Executive Editor of Special Symposium Issue)
- CALI Award for highest grade in Estate Planning, 2011. CALI Award for highest grade in Law and Poverty, 2010. CALI Award for highest grade in Property, 2008
- Dean's List
- Indiana University (B.S., 2006)
- Major: Biology
- Minors: Chemistry, Psychology, Social Science, and Medicine
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Federal Tax Committee, Exempt Organizations Division; Estate Planning Committee)
- Wills for Heroes (Volunteer)
- Ladder Up (Volunteer)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2018–present: Non-Profit)
- Judicial Extern for the Hon. Judge Ronald Guzman, Northern District of Illinois, Summer 2010