April Schilling is an experienced business lawyer who provides services to clients of all types and sizes, and in a variety of industries, including real estate, manufacturing, nonprofit, healthcare and financial services.
April’s work focuses on business and real estate transactions. She is experienced in negotiating and drafting a variety of agreements, including joint venture agreements, buy/sell agreements, professional services agreements, asset purchase agreements and stock purchase agreements. April has helped clients with developing standard contracts, review processes, and negotiation positions, and providing the associated training to clients.
She has served as counsel for clients in real estate acquisition, disposition, leasing, and subleasing transactions throughout the United States. She has broad real estate transactional experience, having assisted clients in retail, office, affordable housing, residential and industrial matters. She has represented a variety of clients, including developers, public and private companies, landlords and tenants. April has handled numerous 1031 exchange, “build to suit” and “sale-leaseback” transactions.
April also helps financial institutions and other lenders structure, negotiate and close a broad range of commercial and real estate loan transactions, including secured and unsecured single lender and syndication loans and mezzanine loans. She utilizes her broad real estate background when representing lenders in construction and permanent real estate loans.
- Represented private equity firms in numerous acquisitions, dispositions and sale-leasebacks of office, industrial, retail, student housing, and apartment assets throughout the United States.
- Represented publicly-traded convenience store operator in portfolio acquisitions.
- Represented bank in asset-based financing to an Indianapolis-based, ESOP owned manufacturer.
- Counsel for Fortune 50 tenant in build-to-suit lease of $50 million office facility.
- Represented a lender in more than 25 real estate loans (including construction and permanent financing with participations).
- Counsel for developer regarding the build-to-suit office and laboratory world headquarters for a life sciences tenant.
- Counsel for a developer in a $25 million medical facility redevelopment project financed with a credit tenant lease structure.
- Represented developer in multiple build-to-suit retail projects for a retail tenant, including site acquisition, development, leasing, and financing.
- Represented developer in all phases of acquisition and development of a mixed-use, traditional neighborhood development.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University–Maurer School of Law (J.D., 1998)
- Indiana University (B.S., 1995)
Professional and Civic Activities
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys - Fellow
- Executive Women in Finance – Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers – Member
- Urban Land Institute - Associate Member
- Sycamore Ice Skating Club – Board Member
- Saint Barnabas Church – Member
- United Way of Central Indiana, Executive Women's Leadership Series – Graduate
- Leadership Bloomington-Monroe County – Graduate
- IndyCREW (Commercial Real Estate Women) – Past Board Member
- CREW Network – Past Member, National Resource Development Committee
- Community Development Law Center – Past Board Member
- March of Dimes Real Estate Awards Committee – Past Chair
- Listed in Indiana Super Lawyers — Real Estate (2012-present)