Ave Bie is a business law, utilities, and energy attorney who has spent her career serving in state and local government positions and counseling utilities and independent power producers. Her experience encompasses all aspects of energy and utilities, from government relations and permitting to counseling on infrastructure and long-range planning.
As the former chair of the Wisconsin Public Service Commission and a current board member of the New York Independent System Operator, Ave possesses a unique skill set with a solid foundation in law. This and her 25 years of leadership roles in utility and regulatory trade groups make Ave nationally recognized in the volatile and highly regulated energy industry. Her substantive public and private experience allows her to see issues from both sides of the regulatory table and engineer legal solutions that serve all parties well.
Most of Ave's time is spent developing regulatory strategies to critical infrastructure and renewable portfolio standards for her clients, which range from investor-owned utilities and independent power producers to telecommunications companies – any business with regulatory and/or permitting issues.
Ave is extremely pragmatic and passionate about solving problems and determining strategic direction timely and within the constructs of the legislative process. In addition to her active corporate practice, Ave serves as Quarles & Brady's Madison Office Managing Partner and sits on the board of the NFL Green Bay Packers.
- Business Law
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1990)
- University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire (B.A., cum laude, 1979)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1990
Professional and Civic Activities
- Wisconsin Public Service Commission (Chairman and Commissioner, 1998–2004)
- Wisconsin Department of Corrections (Deputy Secretary, 1990–1998)
- Wisconsin Department of Regulation (Licensing Deputy Secretary)
- House Republicans (Policy Director)
- Edgewood High School (Member and Board of Trustees)
- Edgewood Campus School (Advisor)
- United Way of Dane County (Board and Executive Committee)
- Quarles & Brady Technology Law Group (Chair)
- Green Bay Packers (Board of Directors)
- St. Mary's Foundation (Board Member)
- NYISO (New York Independent System Operator) (Board Member)
- Wisconsin Public Research Institute, Inc. (WPRI) (Energy Advisory Board Member)
- Named the Best Lawyers' 2012 Madison Energy Law Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2010–present: Administrative/Regulatory Law; Energy Law)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2010 Illinois Super Lawyers® list (Administrative Law; Energy Law)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2008 and 2010 InBusiness Executive Register
- Selected as the "2009 Leader in the Law" by the Wisconsin Law Journal