Brian Howie is a member of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group and the Appellate Practice Subgroup. His practice areas include complex litigation, alcohol beverage law, class actions, and appellate litigation. He has represented clients in the alcohol beverage, direct sales, oil and gas, and financial services industries in state and federal courts nationwide.
- Serving as National Alcohol Beverage Law Counsel to the second-largest brewer in the United States.
- Representation of major petroleum refiner in price discrimination case brought by fuel distributor. Obtained summary judgment on Robinson-Patman Act, contract, and tort claims.
- Representation of direct sales companies (and individual distributors) in RICO and securities class actions and other disputes.
- Successful defense of a large financial institution in a complex real estate litigation matter.
- Representation of major petroleum refiner against Petroleum Marketing Practices Act (PMPA), antitrust, and state franchise law claims brought by terminated service station dealers.
- Representation of tobacco farmers and quota holders in a class action suit against tobacco companies and leaf buying companies regarding price fixing at tobacco auctions. Case resulted in a large, favorable settlement for the class.
- Handled appeals in the Arizona Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Eleventh Circuits.
- Class Action Defense
- Direct Sales Industry
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation Litigation
- Franchise & Distribution
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 1996)
- John W. Davis Prize (Valedictorian)
- Order of the Coif
- Washington and Lee Law Review (Senior Articles Editor and Staff Writer)
- Clerk, Hon. Rhesa H. Barksdale, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1996–1997)
- Middlebury College (B.A., magna cum laude, 1993)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2003
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 1997
- Selected for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers® 2016-2017 (Business Litigation)