Brooke L. Monahan is a member of the Labor & Employment team whose practice is focused in the area of employee benefits and compensation. Brooke's experience as both an in-house counsel in a multinational corporation and in private practice informs the practical solutions she provides to meet the business objectives of her clients.
During the coronavirus pandemic, Brooke has advised plan sponsors of retirement, health and welfare plans; health insurance issuers; third party administrators (TPAs); pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs); and other plan service providers. She has helped these plan sponsors understand the impacts of COVID-19-related legislation on their plans, and given practical advice to ensure compliance and timely communication with plan enrollees.
Brooke has advised both public and private companies with respect to compensation and benefit matters in connection with mergers, acquisitions, public offerings and other corporate transactions. She is highly experienced in complex tax, disclosure, and other legal issues arising in connection with the development, implementation and administration of benefits and compensation programs. She regularly counsels clients in compliance and regulatory matters, including ERISA, IRC, COBRA, HIPAA, PPACA, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, and FLSA.
Her experience includes:
- Reviewing and drafting executive compensation programs, employment agreements, policies, employee communications, employee benefit plan documents, summary plan descriptions, and summary of material modifications, employment policies and annual enrollment materials
- Advising clients on the laws affecting employee benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements, including qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, health and welfare plans and deferred compensation plans
- Representing both companies and executives in the drafting and negotiation of employment, separation, retention, change in control, non-disclosure, restrictive covenant and other employment related agreements
- Drafting and negotiating employment provisions in corporate transaction documents and counseling clients regarding impact and implementation of such provisions
- Counseling clients in corporate governance matters with respect to employee benefit and compensation plans and programs
- Drafting and negotiating equity incentive plans, award agreements and related securities disclosure
Education and Honors
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- Order of the Coif
- University of Richmond (B.S., cum laude, 2000)
- New York