Emerging Growth Companies and Venture Capital
Legal counsel at every stage of the investment cycle
Capabilities at a glance
- We offer insights into current market terms and conditions that can benefit either side of the transactional equation—emerging companies and investors.
- For many startup companies we serve as outside general counsel, assisting in areas such as business formation, founder agreements, IP, employment law and angel and venture capital finance.
- We have cultivated relationships with the technology accelerator, angel investor and venture capital fund communities that can help generate investment and success for your company.
Unleashing start-up potential in a competitive market
We understand how to guide a full range of participants through the complexities of rapidly changing and competitive industries. We represent entrepreneurs and emerging startup or growth companies from formation to exit, in a variety of corporate matters, including equity, convertible instruments and debt financings, commercial contract drafting and negotiations, employment and onboarding matters and mergers, sales and other liquidity events.
Legal support to ensure liquidity and connectivity, whatever your area
Our clients are drawn from a range of sectors and industries, including technology, health care, consumer goods and services, and business goods and services. Our technical insights and market knowledge help our venture capital and angel investors maximize their returns. We can also help connect the dots for your next big investment; our attorneys routinely use their broad networks to link startup and venture clients to potential capital sources. We have represented accelerators, venture capital funds, corporate venturing funds, family offices and startups in hundreds of financing transactions from accelerator and pre-seed rounds to Series F rounds.
- Incorporation and formation
- Founder agreements
- Venture financing (equity, convertible debt, SAFEs and other instruments)
- LLC to corporation conversions
- Intellectual property ownership and protection
- Employment issues
- Equity incentive plans
- Software licensing issues
- Commercial contracts and real estate leases
- Sale and exit transactions
- Represented an Internet of Things emerging growth company in a $1 million seed equity financing round; an education technology emerging growth company in a $2 million equity financing round; a wellness management emerging growth company in a $3 million equity financing round and a fashion/retail software/services company in a $10 million Series B financing round.
- Represented a super angel in multiple investments in energy growth companies.
- Represented a biotech company from formation through financing rounds and subsequent sale of control, a life science company in a merger with a publicly held company and a rocket engine company in its sale to a strategic buyer.
- John Barry
- Jennifer Clements
- Mark Ehrmann
- Adam Falkof
- Jeffrey Fugal
- Ryan Haas
- Jonathan Howard
- Jack Iwrey
- Elizabeth Lacey
- Leonardo Loo
- Nathan Mathews
- Eric Matzke
- Brian Moll
- Ryan Morrison
- Maciej (Matt) Pietruczak
- Walter Skipper
- Peter Spier
- Stephen Tight
- Ryan Van Den Elzen
- Kevin Walsh
- Jacque Westling
- Daniel Young
- Katrene Zelenovskiy