Counsel that helps you navigate a changing regulatory landscape
Capabilities at a glance
- Strategic, forward-thinking counsel informed by deep knowledge of the regulators, so your business can avoid any unwanted surprises.
- Broad experience and insights from across the energy sector, from investor-owned utilities to independent power producers, from electricity to natural gas and from fossil to renewable technologies.
- Business-focused advice on energy legislation and regulation, so you know the stakes and can affect the outcomes.
- A multi-disciplinary group working effectively as a team to bring you comprehensive solutions to complex problems.
Dedicated energy regulatory attorneys to help your business succeed
At Quarles, our experienced energy lawyers know that in this dynamic sector of the economy it is hugely beneficial, perhaps even business-critical, to avoid being caught off guard by regulatory changes. With technological advancements and more competitive energy markets, states are rapidly changing their regulatory frameworks accordingly. Our attorneys have the agility and contacts to keep you apprised of those changes and keep you one step ahead of the competition. Above all, we believe in strong communication, both with our clients and with the regulatory and political bodies responsible for establishing new sets of guidelines and legislation.
Keeping you ahead of new energy legislation and regulations
Quarles represents all segments of the energy sector, including major integrated energy companies, independent power producers and large energy consumers. Crucially, our Energy Regulatory team has been actively involved in the development and restructuring of many laws shaping energy regulation. We understand the energy industry from both the regulated and regulator perspective, and can help you navigate the maze of standards, permits and authorizations necessary to help your business thrive.
As part of our far-reaching assistance on energy issues and projects, we represent clients by:
- Representing regulated energy companies in contested proceedings before state, regional and federal regulatory commissions, and in related appellate court cases.
- Negotiating and obtaining approvals of complex energy transactions, including holding company formations and takeovers, and the purchase and sale of individual energy business segments and assets.
- Developing and implementing regulatory and legislative strategies.
- Identifying strategic partners and contacts.
- Anticipating and defending against adverse action by regulatory agencies and intervenors.
- Interacting with local utility companies.
- Establishing and maintaining strong ties with policy makers and regulators.
- Quarles partnered with Midwestern utilities to obtain approvals for one of the first utility-scale solar energy projects in Wisconsin.
- Our attorneys negotiated and documented a 100% renewable energy purchase contract for a major Midwestern city.
- We have represented both purchasers and sellers in numerous renewable energy project transactions.
News & Insights
- (608) 283-2675
- (414) 277-5839